Thread: Is catalpa a wood that can be used for furniture?

Is catalpa a wood that can be used for furniture?

I was wondering if the wood from a Catalpa tree is any good to use?

Thanks,
    Rick

I turned a beautiful salad bowl from Catalpa.
    Jeff Farris

I have 4 or 5 hundred BF of catalpa that has been drying for about 7 years. I have turned about a half dozen bowls and they look great. When finished with just satin varnish it takes on a coffee with cream color with a nice grain. Then I decided to use it to build a wine rack. Not the best decision. It is not a very hard, hard wood. In using forstner bits (and other drills), I found I had ragged edges that had to be cleaned up by sanding. I should have known since I had trouble getting clean cuts with the bowl gouge. I don't think catalpa is suitable for large furniture projects (at least for this woodworker). I think I will stick to using it for turnings and small projects. The wine rack did however, win 3rd place at the county fair's craft show.

Rick,
    I have never used the stuf but met a guy with a woodmizer who had a bunch of the stuff. He said it worked pretty well.
    joe

We have a catalba tree in our back yard..I have no idea if the wood is good for furniture or woodworking but the Catalpa worms that infest the tree in the spring makes great crappie/catfish bait.

Jerry

Pretty soft stuff.
    The carving people like it

I honestly haven't seen any flat work done with Catalpa, but suspect it would be fine for certain items that didn't require a lot of hardness and strength. It also has a pretty open and bold grain structure which could be a challenge for some situations. I have, however, seen quite a few turnings from this species. Very nice looking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wonder how it compares to Ponderosa pine which is what has been used here in New Mexico for furniture and doors for hundreds of years?

As others have stated, it is very soft. The stuff is fascinating to turn green because it literally turns like butter and just spews off the gouge.

I've made some bowls fron Catalpa and the heft when dry is similar to Pine. It can have both curl and burl figure and is an attractive wood IMHO.

A Google search revealed the following about it's commercial qualities:

Catalpa wood is very soft, weak and brittle, with a very good decap resistance and dimensional stability. It is excellent for working with hand tools and is almost on par with white pine. The wood is mainly used for fenceposts, rails, beams, and crating. Other uses of the wood include millwork, framing, forms, furniture, drawer sides, and general purpose construction.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks guys.
    I might have a lead on a tree and sounds like it is good for carving and turning. So if I get the chance I will know how to cut it up. No need to try and haul 8'-10' logs when all I need are turning and carving sizes.

Rick