Thread: Duplicator

Duplicator

Hi Guys-

Its been a while since I posted here. I have been turning still though, and I have a quick question about duplicators(and production methods). I am wanting to get into more high output turning, because I actually may need to start making some money with turning to support my other hobby(bike racing). I was wondering if anyone here has experience with duplicators, and if they are worth the money. Also, any more advice on faster hand turning methods, without sacraficing quality, would be very helpful. Please note that by high output, I dont mean I will skip any steps. I would like my pens and other small turnings to stay at the same level of quality they are now. And the final question-if you guys where looking to sell a lot of pens, what kits would you buy? I hope this does not sound like I am in it just for the money-I really enjoy hand turning to-I just need to make some money.

Thanks a lot-
    Jake Byrd
    Jake Byrd

My experience is that actual turning of the blank is a fairly small time component of the total pen making process unless the blank is of a very complicated shape. A duplicator will certainly allow you to create a lot of identical shapes; but whether it will save you a lot of time in turning basic shapes is questionable.

I am just throwing ideas out there but what if you took a piece of tool steel long enough for a 1/2 blank Grind the profile of the pen you want and attach it to some sort of handle to make a scraper the size and profile of your 1/2 blank. Then quickly rough turn the blank to round and use the scraper to finish the profile.

Don't have any experience with this, just made my first custom tool yesterday and it worked great.

What brand of lathe do you have?

Vega has an excellent duplicator. Not sure what all it will fit other than Vega

I can't see a duplicator being useful on pens, but if you have to do a bunch of stair spindles (in the 50 plus range), then it is worth it. You can do other shapes (have a friend who did 200 spheres for a restoration project). The best way to get faster is to do more. Like my kung fu instructor said,"10,000 more times. But Teacher, that is what you said last time.", Then he smiled with that 'perhaps there is hope for you yet' look, and walked away.
    robo hippy

I recall that PSI has (or at least had) a duplicator for mini lathes along with several patters for pens.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Keep in mind that a duplicator is great for making identical pieces, but it isn't great for getting fine detail. Many turners only use the duplicator for the rough turning, then go in by hand to sharpen the corners, etc.

The few pens I have turned changed diesign as the grain emerged and to "cover" for minor tear out, etc. That rules out a duplicator. Also the rough turning of a pen should not be a major time consumer that needs automation