Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resawing logs on Minimax MM20

There is also the not so little (depending) issue of the creepy crawly bugs scurrying from the wood while you are cutting it (DAMHIKT).

As others have said, the folks at your woodworking store have no idea what they're talking about. It's likely they're on loan from my woodworking store.

The comments about miminizing cutting bark are right on. Also, cutting logs makes a huge mess and a tremendous amount of dust. Some species (I find white oak is one) generate dust that wants to stick to everything. It's a good ideat to clean up the area and especially machined surfaces with a shop vac right after you're finished cutting.

The one thing you need to avoid is the log twisting or rolling as it will grab the blade. Your sled should minimize this, though this can be done with fences alone. You may also need to stick a wedge in the kerf to keep it from closing up on the band.

Pete

Barry,
    What Lou said. I had the same idea in mind when I bought my Laguna 24 several years ago-- even bought the heavy duty rollers for in feed and out feed tables. It worked OK for the apple I was sawing, which was usually less than 4' x 15", but even with the sled and rollers there was a lot of muscling logs around. Lou’s point about the bark quickly dulling the blades is right on I only tried one small piece of green pine and the sap made such a mess (it took hours to clean it off the tires), I said never again for that stuff. . I will still occasionally slice up a small log if it’s an unusual species or has the potential for great figure, but if I had a bunch of 8’ plus logs to slice up I’d find someone with a bandmill.

I don't have occassion to cut green wood, but my saw, with a carbide 2-3 tpi Lennox, has been used by one of my shop neighbors on billets of sitka spruce. It is quite hard on this blade.

He later ordered green wood blades from Suffok Machinery, and his cutting experience is much improved.

Mine is a 9 hp. 800 mm Zimmerman. Go with a purpose made blade for the green stuff!
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 09-30-2006 at 5:29 AM.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Ok...let's assume you can safely saw the logs on the machine with the right blade, etc, without taxing the motor too much. And let's say you are able to build an appropriate sled to hold the logs safely, et al. How you you plan on actually lifting said logs? Those are not small objects and even when not totally green weigh a LOT!!! The 3pt on my tractor can barely lift a wet log of the size you describe and it's capable of lifting 1000 lbs.

I think that were it me I'd hire a band mill from time to time to process the logs rather than utilize the band saw for this purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Woodmizer sells low tpi (7/8 TPI) blades, i'm planning to get some, for green wood and resawing taller pieces.
    T

Many but certainly not all, band mills regularly use a coolant on the blade. the exact mixture is hotly disputed depending on the type of wood one is sawing. I have regularly used just plain water. Bottom line is that the water helps cool the blade and carry the dust away. This is fine when you are sawing outdoors and all that, but it is more difficult when you are doing that indoors.

don't get me wrong.... Stu in japan seems to love sawing logs on his indoor band saw, but I would think if I gave him a nice band mill for free and a new tractor to load the logs on it, along with some nice land in beautiful new england he would probably want to try sawing outdoors

lou

Lou, Stu isn't sawing logs of this size on his bandsaw, if I'm recalling correctly. Much smaller.
    --

Once I started moving up in the quality, and size, of my power tools I quickly learned that the people working at my local WoodXXXXX store knew next to nothing. I said MiniMax and they went huh? I trust them to show me where stuff is in the store and that's about it. They can hardly handle the cash register let alone figure out how to re-saw on a 9HP monster.

After screwing up my first Lennox Tri-Master the 2nd day I had it I am very leary of using it on just anything and would be using the $20-40 cheap blades ($40 dollars is cheap after buying two Tri-Masters) to cut anything like a log.

I have done this kind of stuff. I now have older somewhat dull Trimasters around and I would use one of them for this; the bark and grit does dull the carbide faster than you'd want for a new blade.

But I would say that by far the biggest issue is handling the log. Even if your sled is secure enough to not worry about the log rolling in the cut and kinking a blade (happens, I know), you have at least a two man operation getting that log through the blade. Infeed, outfeed setups, does not matter. Logs that long are heavy. If you really need boards that long, a bandmill is the correct tool and you will spend lots of time 'making do'.

Okay, fine, you knew it would not be a cakewalk. I think this is something everyone should try, perhaps on a smaller scale with hard-to-buy-retail species. Stu did this just right for all the right reasons. The other issue that I don't think has been mentioned is the mess. There is a large amount of waste in this process. If you lack a woodburning stove, this could become a sizeable problem in a hurry. And of course you need room to stack and sticker.

The motor can take it; just be reasonable with your feed rate.

The thing you need to be concerned with relative to the TriMaster or similar carbide tipped blade in this application is that they do NOT like to be twisted in any way while in operation. That's hard to avoid when slicing large, heavy, round objects, especially when it's wet wood. A band-mill blade or Timberwolf AS is probably a better choice as they are more forgiving when it comes to twists, turns and so forth. They are also more forgiving (cost wise) when you nail a nail, as it were...
    --

12. Well since I'm getting mentioned here, I'll add my two yen's worth

I also think the idea of getting a bandsaw mill guy to come by is a good one, if you can get a reasonable price. I did not have that option, so I did the chainsaw mill thing, with only some log sawing on Big Blue in the Dungeon.

Now if you are dead set on doing it, I'll add what I can.

Yes it can be done, and Yes, I'm sure your saw can handle it, but as others have said, them is BIG logs you are talking about.

I'd want a hook on the ceiling and a chain hoist to get the logs up there, and no "rollers" but SOLID tables on the infeed and outfeed, just wax the freak out of them, and use some laminate on them, wax the freak out of your saw's table etc too.

That log is about 150 cm long (60") and is about 9 or 10 inches thick, and wet and heavy and HARD!!! (Sakura!)

It is messy, it was also fun (I know, I'm nuts )

I need to ask, do you REALLY need 8' boards? I find I VERY rarely need boards that long, so you could cut them down to 4'....?

There is one more thing that you HAVE to have if you are going to attempt this...........

Yep, works like a charm, just keep spritzing the blade, inside and out, and the blade will slice through the wet wood WAY easier. When you spritz it, you will hear the motor's rpm pick up, no kidding.

With the right infeed and set up, the right sled and the ability to put the logs in place, of course you can do it, but, do you really want to?

One more thing, if you do go ahead and try it, like others said, you have to IMEDIATELY clean the saw, open the doors, blow it out with compressed air, and vacuum it, the green wood will rust anything it touches in minutes!

Oh yeah, pics, don't forget the pics!!!

Thank you so much for all your responses! I am thinking this....I feel comfortable that the motor will now take it. That being said, I also have nodded my head and said...."oh...yeah....that pine sure WILL make a mess on the tires and such..." I just may shy away from sawing those logs. I think that I will however give the rest of the logs a try. I will change the blade to a 1 1/2" - 2 tooth per inch that I got with the saw. I have sawn one short 2' log of walnut with my lenox blade...think that will have dulled the blade any?

Right now I am working on getting the 1 1/2 inch blade on the saw. It is on but it hangs over the bottom wheel more than the top. I am looking into how to correct that. I also have all the parts to build the sled...just need to knock that out and then once I get started I will try to post some pictures. Also, the pine was the bigger of the logs. The others will be a little shorter so the won't be 8 ft. long.