Thread: Lee Valley Purchase

Lee Valley Purchase

I have been having a somewhat difficult time putting my small holes exactly where I want them. I would mark the spot with an "X" with a sharp pencil and when I would tap it with an awl, the dimple is "off" a little bit. Not enough for anybody to really notice but when I look at it with a loupe, i can see where I miss the lines a bit.

Well, I finally ordered the Optical Center Punch from Lee Valley and I can tell you it is a fine measuring AND marking tool. You line it up with the crosshairs and replace the optical with the punch and you have a perfectly placed crater for your brad-pointed drill bit.

It is in new catolog on page 140.

Gary K

how close does it have to be...if you have to use magnification to see that its off...dont you think its close enough.

Sounds just a tad bit stressing for something that truly wont be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bourgeois
    how close does it have to be...
    Slightly closer than the last one was.
    Tony

Right size holes....1st time

Yea, it is probably close enough for most woodworking applications but I would also use it for drilling multiple holes in an aluminum sheet that is going to accept mutiple screws. Doing it right the first time without going back and enlarging the holes is the way to go for me.
    Also I just put two holes in my newly made ottoman drawer in the right location to accept 8-32 screws for my pull. Alot of guys just make two big clearance holes and adjust the pulls by eye. I like to put the right size hole for a snug fit for the screws and be done with it. Just the machinist in me , I guess.
    Gary K.

LV is my favorite place to shop. I also noticed in their recent monthly catalog that showed up, that they have a nice set of transfer punches for $9.99 that looks like it's going on my Christmas list.
    Use the fence Luke

Doug,

I had my eye on those, too. When I was a kid, the sears and Roebucks Christmas catolog got worned-out every year. Now Lee Valley has all my Xmas presents!!! lol

Gary K.

Blog Entries
    I saw that do-hickey and thought it looked pretty cool. Given my natural lack of skill, devices like this really help me on small stuff like jewelrey boxes and other areas where 1/64th actually does count. Especially if multiple holes compound the problem and I need to align to something like a hinge where the position is set in brass or steel. Gonna have to add that to my X-mas list.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yea Glenn, I'd been eyeing it for a year or so before I pulled the trigger. I had to order some drawer pulls for SWMBO and some hardware so I thought I would sneak that into the order. Glad I did...it is good quality and I already used it twice. Works like a charm.

Gary K.
    Last edited by Gary Keedwell; 09-30-2006 at 6:01 PM.

Get Those Transfer Punches

I tried measuring and drilling 4 holes to attach a wood fence to my SCMS. It took a little while, and 2 of the holes did not line up perfectly with the predrilled holes in the metal fence. Then I got out my new set of transfer punches. Four quick taps of a 1/4 inch punch through the holes in the metal fence into the wood fence, drilled the holes, everything lined up perfectly, and much faster.

I think I will get them on my next order. Sometimes my bix centering bits just don't cut it.

Gary K.