Thread: Does anyone have experience with the Foredom Flexible shaft tools?

Does anyone have experience with the Foredom Flexible shaft tools?

I have been making some rocking chairs that requires me to sculpt the wood around certain joints on the chair. I have been using a Dremmel, sanding drums in an electric drill, and hand files. This is a very slow and tedious chore. At the start of wood removal I have to remove a lot of wood quickly and then when I remove most of the excess wood I need to slowly and gently shape the wood to its final form. I would like to find a way to reduce the amount of time that this chore requires. I thought of getting an air compressor and use a die grinder and then I thought of the Foredom tools. I have looked at their site and they have two different sizes of motors for their flex shaft tool. A sixth of a horse power and a third of a horse power. Do you have any experience with either of these Foredom tools? Do you think that a Foredom tool would work well in this situation? I don't think that I would run the tool very hard for a long length of time but I feel that I would need the one third horse power model. Also do the large carbide bits that they sell remove wood quicker than a coarse grit sanding drum? I have just started to look into this so if you have any thoughts that might help me make a decision please advise me. Thanks a lot. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

I've never used a Foredom tool but according to people I know they are excellant. I doubt you'll be sorry if you buy one.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Hi Pete,

40 years maybe 50 is a long time. Point is, our Foredom

dates from my birth. Has never missed a beat.

I can speak about industry bench marks for 20 years ago and this was it.

I do not know the state of foredom today, but my guess their products are

still the same quality. As for being the tool you want for the job?

My opinion (narrow) there isn't any other kind.

Carbide? The box of bits shown is original and HSS.

Still as good as the day purchased. And yes it gets used alot.

Hope this helps

Per

PS
    There is no HP listing on this unit.

P.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Pete,
    Sam Maloof uses an air powered die grinder for a lot of tasks like that.He also uses hand tools.

Thanks for the replies guys. Well Per, it seems like they certainly hold up through the years don't they. Thanks for the insight. Don, I have the Sam Maloof video that shows him making his chairs and like you said it shows him useing pneumatic tools. The video is what got me thinking about figureing out how to do the work faster. I guess die grinders use ALOT of air, so I would have to buy a fairly heay duty compressor. So I was trying to figure out a less expenlive alternative. Thats when I thought of the Foredom tools. Foredoms third horsepower model is just over $300.00. Thats a bit less than everything that I would need in order to use air tools. However an air compressor might be used in the future to spray finishes. Always things to think about. Any other reccomendations are appreciated. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

I would recommend a Nicholson #49 Patternmakers rasp. I have used one of these for years to shape cabriole legs and lots of other curved work. They remove wood quickly and with reasonably smooth results. The next tool I would go to would be a scraper and then sandpaper last.

To me the difference is that with a rasp I can make long flowing strokes that fair curves well. A drum sander or other rotary tool requires some skill to fair curves with a radius mucl larger than the radius of the drum.

There is a world of difference between the rasps you get at the hardware and a pattermakers rasp. There is also a significant price difference.

Danny Buie
    Baton Rouge

Hi Danny, Thanks for the thoughts, especially when they come form experience. I do have the #49 and 50 Nicholson rasps as well as some other files and rasps. Problem is that they don't fit into the tight areas that I need to work. Also There are places that I need to remove about an inch of wood before I get to the delicate shapeing job. I am wondering about making more use of the band saw before I put the parts together. I don't know, I have alot to consider. Thanks. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Pete,

There is no doubt that Foredom produces the best electric flex shaft grinder that has ever been made. I don't know how it compares to an air grinder. The largest carbide burrs that I own are around 1/2" diameter. And they are fairly fine cut. If I needed to cut a 1/2" inside radius and had both the Foredom and a 1/2" rat tail coarse file (rasp) lying near, I'm afraid I would grab the rasp first. I own a Foredom that I purchased new around 1970 and two that predate it several years. They are excellent tools for getting into tight spots (bottomed cuts and such). And they do a pretty nice job on finish cuts. But if the radius is more than twice the diameter of the cutter, I will try another tool. Also, the cutter can pretty easily "jump" out of the area where you desire to cut and mar surrounding surfaces.

I wore out a couple of Dremels before getting the first Foredom. In my experience, I think the primary advantages to the Foredom are longevity, handpieces that will get into tighter spots, and a little more usable power. I can't remember the HP on my units, but I've trashed a couple of flex shafts by trying to cut with too much power too fast. Though they are durable workhorses, I consider mine to be more of finessing tools than hoggers. Oh, and another advantage over the Dremel (and they may have one now) is the foot control for the Foredom. Delicate, inside cuts, yes. Anything half way flat or "through" or fast, not for me. And I use my Foredom daily.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Lamberty
    I have been making some rocking chairs that requires me to sculpt the wood around certain joints on the chair. I have been using a Dremmel, sanding drums in an electric drill, and hand files. This is a very slow and tedious chore. At the start of wood removal I have to remove a lot of wood quickly and then when I remove most of the excess wood I need to slowly and gently shape the wood to its final form. I would like to find a way to reduce the amount of time that this chore requires. I thought of getting an air compressor and use a die grinder and then I thought of the Foredom tools. I have looked at their site and they have two different sizes of motors for their flex shaft tool. A sixth of a horse power and a third of a horse power. Do you have any experience with either of these Foredom tools? Do you think that a Foredom tool would work well in this situation? I don't think that I would run the tool very hard for a long length of time but I feel that I would need the one third horse power model. Also do the large carbide bits that they sell remove wood quicker than a coarse grit sanding drum? I have just started to look into this so if you have any thoughts that might help me make a decision please advise me. Thanks a lot. Pete

pete, i`ve logged hundreds of hours on the foredom machines and they`re fantastic flex shaft machines. i made the choice several years ago to convert my shop to air and now run die grinders and pencil grinders instead of fordoms. personally i`ll take air any day of the week, much more power, higher rpm and substantially longer tool life. no matter which system you choose to spin your cutters go to a metal working supply house for tooling. for the larger 1/4" shaft bits running 20k and faster look for aluminum cutting burrs, smaller bits (1/8") go with single cut hss burrs you`ll find that the bits cut smoother, last longer and cost about half as much as those ear-marked for woodworking. as for sanding with a rotary tool again look to the metal working field, a german company called pferd makes a really handy seam free kit i`ll shoot a pic.....02 tod

MVC-871S.JPG

MVC-872S.JPG

MVC-873S.JPG

MVC-874S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Thanks for the replies David and Tod. Both of you have given me good ideas as to how each tool works. I appreciate your thoughts. Tod, you said that you now use air tools. Like the Foredom, I know nothing about air tools. What horsepower motor and what size tank do you need on an air compresser to run a die grinder? A friend told me I would need a large compesser, is this right? Thanks. Pete
    Pete Lamberty

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Lamberty
    Thanks for the replies David and Tod. Both of you have given me good ideas as to how each tool works. I appreciate your thoughts. Tod, you said that you now use air tools. Like the Foredom, I know nothing about air tools. What horsepower motor and what size tank do you need on an air compresser to run a die grinder? A friend told me I would need a large compesser, is this right? Thanks. Pete
    pete, for garage or hobbiest use the cost of a decent compressor and die grinder is really cost prohibitive. to answer your questions though, any air tool in use is the same as a wide open line so in order to run a die grinder for any length of time you`ll need a compressor capable of overpowering an open 1/4" line...........5hp/80gal/ 4cyl minimum.......not a borg unit! a good pencil grinder will set you back the cost of a foredom and bits but will spin 60k-rpm.....
    if this will be a hobby for you and not a production business venture, then a foredom is a very cost effective road to take, it will do the job....spin the bits.....the shaft requires maintenance and i find it somewhat cumbersome to use....the next step up from the flex shaft machines are foredoms "micromotors" these will spin 45k-rpm with the entire unit, except for a cord, in your hand....
    another choice for shaping wood freehand is your angle grinder with the appropriate "flap disc" ( i`ll shoot a pic) or an electric die grinder such as those from milwaukee or makita......there`s 101 ways to remove material, finding one that`ll work for you depends on your requirements and pocketbook.......02 tod
    MVC-876S.JPG
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.