Thread: Need help with settings to cut mirror

Need help with settings to cut mirror

I have cut mirror in the past with success. However, I am in a hurry to get a job done, and can't locate my preferred settings. I have made a couple of test runs, but I either don't get all the way through, or I end up with cloudy or distorted areas on the mirror. I cut from the front, with the masking still on. Any suggestions for settings would be greatly appreciated!

I'm cutting .0625 mirror at speed 100% power 40% and frequency of 5000 on an Epilog Legend 70 watt machine. I cut it face down, paper on and the parts stay together for the most part, the customer asked me to try to keep them together.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

I'm cutting 1/8" acrylic mirror on a 45Watt epilog.

I had no idea that regular mirror can be cut by laser ?!
    Are we talking about regular mirror ? or acrylic mirror ?

Since we are on the topic of mirrors , can someone help me locate dealers that sell single sheets of pre cut to laser platform size acrylic mirror ?

Much appreciated ,

Al

I have purchased most of mine at Delvies Plastic, online, pretty good prices and service. I will keep on buying from them. Sloans Woodshop is also good.

Russ,

I have the same laser, and cut that at speed 15 power 100 freq 5000. I cut the back side up in reverse with transfer tape on both sides.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Joe,
    I appreciate the feedback. Why do you cut with the back up? I haven't done that in the past. I called Epilog and asked if they had any recommendations for settings, and they did not. I have tried settings very close to those you gave me, but with the back down and masking on the front only. Maybe that's my problem. However, I have had good results in the past. I'm so frustrated that I didn't save my settings last time.

I tried it both ways (but on 1/4") and in some cases back down I got some crackling of the silver around the edges. I figured the focus on the silver side would do a better jobs. So when I got a job doing 1/8" just did it the same way. Seems like it would be less of a problem on thinner material.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

As for laser sized sheets, my customer buys full sheets and has them cut to 12X24 to fit my Epilog.

I cut mine face down because I have a few engraved marks on the inside of the cover. I don't know where they came from but if I can keep highly reflective surfaces face down, I do.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Does anyone know ,

What is the exact weight of a 12" x 24" 1/8" Acrylic mirror sheet ?

24" x 24" 1/8" Acrylic mirror sheet ?

Regards,

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Al Mutairi
    Does anyone know ,

What is the exact weight of a 12" x 24" 1/8" Acrylic mirror sheet ?

24" x 24" 1/8" Acrylic mirror sheet ?

Regards,

Al
    I have one here that's 12"x23-7/8", and put it on the postal scale:
    1lb 6.1 oz.

Sammamish, WA