Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why YOU should wear gloves...

It's kina funny, I started the thread to raise awareness when working on/with machines that are unplugged or other shop activities. Trust me I wish that I wore gloves while doing what I did, it would mean that I wouldn't miss 12 weeks of life.

Being one handed is rough from shifting the car to work (yea try typing one handed all day) to just tying your shoes! Hopefully someone thinks twice before just grabbing onto something now and avoids getting all banged up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Parker
    ... Moral of the story wear gloves when working....
    It's kina funny, I started the thread to raise awareness when working on/with machines that are unplugged or other shop activities....
    Brian

I don't think anybody is dissing your motives in making the post. I for one simply posted my comment to amplify and clarify because the wrong gloves in the wrong situation are more of a risk than a benefit. I think you would have to agree that your initial post was more unequivocal than your second.

I know what you mean about being out of commission and how frustrating it can be. The only value I can offer you is that you will have a great way of remembering the importance of safety in the future - DAMHIKT.

Knew a guy who owned a machine shop. He had a guy that had a finger tip of a glove get caught on a spinning end-mill. It ripped the finger and tendon up to the elbow right out of his arm. I agree that you shouldn't wear gloves when working with spinning things.
    Scott

Oh yea, I worked with a farmer while in high school who was missing a few fingers from machinery. I'm not sure what got caught in it, gloves, sleve etc.

Just because you escaped something once doesn't mean that you will the second time!

I think that I'm going to try some of those gloves that come without their fingertips. That way when I'm running nuts on things and turning hand tools I can get the feel of things and still feel protected. I gotta get back on the horse...can't let it think that it won

Oh yea, I worked with a farmer while in high school who was missing a few fingers from machinery. I'm not sure what got caught in it, gloves, sleve etc.

Just because you escaped something once doesn't mean that you will the second time!

I think that I'm going to try some of those gloves that come without their fingertips. That way when I'm running nuts on things and turning hand tools I can get the feel of things and still feel protected. I gotta get back on the horse...can't let it think that it won

brian, look at your accident as what it was.....an accident. gloves are a personal choice that each of us gets to make and we each get to live with our choice.....be safe! tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Amen to that Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz
    That's an unfortunate accident and I can't argue with wearing gloves while performing maintenance on a non-operating machine, BUT...

You'll never catch me wearing gloves while operating a TS, BS, Jointer, Planer, Drill Press, etc. I think it's much more dangerous to have them on.

I hope your recovery goes well, Brian.
    I have seen what gloves can get you into around stuff like that. I use them when stacking wood or moving stuff around, but that's about it.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

5 weeks ago a friend of mine that does small remodels and decks lost 4 fingers, they were able to reattach 3, he was wearing gloves, leather with the wrist tie. He was using a bench type TS, no guard, sitting on the ground, ripping molding ( both no no's ) He "thinks" the tie caught the blade and was probably his instant reaction before thinking that put his hand into the blade but does believe if he was not wearing gloves he would still have all 5.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott