Thread: A small gloat . . .

A small gloat . . .

In a world of 24" jointers and people building 2500 sq ft shops, a used Delta 37-190 seems like a small gloat, indeed, but I'm pretty happy about it I found this on craigslist for $150 - a little wd40 and the surface rust came right off. I just got a set of knives from global tooling (T1 blades, $18.50+shipping), and I'm ready to have some jointer fun . . .

I'm sure one day I'll want to move up to something bigger, but for my current budget and circumstances (I have to work outside on a covered patio), this should serve me well. I also learned that this is about as large a tool as I want to have to schlep around by myself - getting it into and out of my expedition was quite a chore. If I ever do get a bigger jointer, it'll definitely require some help . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats!

I'm sure it will serve you well. It is much better to use what you have and make stuff than to have a whole bunch of stuff that never gets used.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Congrats on the jointer! I would love to have one but I don't have one even that size!

Corey

Congrats on the joiner, it will make you a better woodworker.

Geoff,

We must be cousins; I got the same jointer from a fella on Boston's Craiglist for the same price and then went and bought the same knives from Global!

I put in some linkbelt which seemed to help it run a tad smoother. Also, if you don't have it hooked up to a DC, remove the adapter from the chute for 4" hose as it will clog quite quickly. Enjoy they make a world of difference.

I had the same unit for 9yrs. It served me well. I agree with nick suggestion on the chute. It's too narrow at the bottom and does clog easily. Congrats on the new machine. That was a great price I sold mine for $350.00 ( did inculed a mobile base)

Nick, any issues with the Global Tooling knives? Were they sharp out of the package? I haven't opened mine yet, but was figuring they might need a little touch up before installation. Good idea on the link belt -- the belt on mine looked ok (for not being new, of course), but there is a bit of vibration when running.

Geoff, Mine were sharp right out of the package. I order mine from global also.

You should be congratulated on what is indeed something which meets the classic definition of a "gloat," which generally involves a tool acquisition for substantially less money that one would otherwise expect; e.g., your below "market" price for this jointer. Far too often folks assert a gloat for having purchased at retail or amazon a new tool, be it a LN plane or the aforementioned 24" jointer, and these are simply not gloats, but perhaps are "neeners."

Rich Niemiec.

That deserves a hearty "you suck". That is a great price for the jointer, and it will do anything you need to do. I have had a 37-195 (same jointer on a closed stand) for eight or nine years and it has seen me thouugh making two bedroom sets, various end tables and lots of odd job furniture repairs for neighbors/friends. I believe I bought mine for about $400 new and would have loved to find one for less money, used.

Hi Geoff, That looks like a great gloat to me. Great price also. You may never need a larger jointer. I run into a guy that exhibits at the Long's Park Show in Lancaster PA every year. (LP is probably one of the top 10 in the USA). He uses about the same jointer to turn out some fabulously handcrafted wooden trucks, tractors, etc.
    Have fun,
    take care,
    John

Hey Geoff, used tools are often

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Barry
    In a world of 24" jointers and people building 2500 sq ft shops, a used Delta 37-190 seems like a small gloat, indeed, but I'm pretty happy about it I found this on craigslist for $150 - a little wd40 and the surface rust came right off. I just got a set of knives from global tooling (T1 blades, $18.50+shipping), and I'm ready to have some jointer fun . . .

I'm sure one day I'll want to move up to something bigger, but for my current budget and circumstances (I have to work outside on a covered patio), this should serve me well. I also learned that this is about as large a tool as I want to have to schlep around by myself - getting it into and out of my expedition was quite a chore. If I ever do get a bigger jointer, it'll definitely require some help . . .
    Just as good as new ones! Don't think that a lot of us don't look for used tools first, cause we do. If I can save major bucks on a good used one, I will. I always look for used first. Just my 2 cents.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

Geoff - No problems with the knives from global. If I have a particulatly nice piece and the knives have been in use for a while I'll lap them in the jointer instead of removing them. Never removed or installed them before? Get a dial caliper with magnetic base and enjoy the initiation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of good info on tuning up your jointer on the web as well as a free video.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2Fplaner&hl=en

14. Geoff, great gloat, and that is a great jointer, that I'm sure you will get a ton of use from. One day, when you can/want to move up, you will EASILY get your money out of it, so yes, this is definitely a gloat!!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Congrats on the jointer! I would love to have one but I don't have one even that size!

Corey
    me either! nice gloat geoff!
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.