Thread: TECK Cable?

TECK Cable?

First off: Teck is a Canadian Armoured Cable product. I don't believe it's used under the TECK name in the US.

I've spent a lovely weekend digging a 20ft trench (joy).

I'm using Teck 6/3 armoured cable to supply a 60Amp service from house to garage.

Here's my question:

Can I put this in PVC and bury it all? (I know it's not required with Teck, but is it against code?)

Guy at HD says don't put it in PVC, guy at Rona says it doesn't matter.

Also, just to be certain to, it DOES have to be protected in PVC when it
    is exposed right? It's going to come up the side of the house and enter at about 36". Again, guy at HD said no, but I've read it shouldn't be exposed to sunlight.

For 30 bucks of extra PVC pipe, I'd like to have a nice sealed system, where no little critters can climb up and get in the house.

Thanks in advance!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Doesn't matter. snake in a length of pull cord just in case you want to fish something through in the future.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Actually, I'm pretty sure no other cables can be in the same pipe. That's why I'm burying 2 pipes! One for the power, one for all those cables I haven't thought of yet.

Not familiar with the TECK name or ratings, but based on what armored cable is available in the states, yes, it can be put in PVC. In fact in your application I would definitely put it in PVC. Is TECK rated for direct burial?

In a conduit you can run conductors of different voltage as long as the insulation on all conductors is rated for the highest voltage in the run. You may not want to mix data and power wires in the same pipe though because of interference issues. Burying 2 pipes is definitely a good idea.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Canada
    Actually, I'm pretty sure no other cables can be in the same pipe. That's why I'm burying 2 pipes! One for the power, one for all those cables I haven't thought of yet.
    I believe that the issue of multiple power lines in a conduit arises in the context of a calculation of load, and diameter. It's got to do with heat buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    I believe that the issue of multiple power lines in a conduit arises in the context of a calculation of load, and diameter. It's got to do with heat buildup.
    Communications cables, etc., cannot be in the same conduit as electrical supply. In fact, they need to be off-set in the trench by a certain distance...I think it's a foot, but don't quote me on that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

TECK is approved for direct burial. General practice when risers enter buildings from underground is to sleeve them inside a PVC conduit. I am an Electrical Engineer in the oil patch and we use tons of TECK, and this is typical installation practice. You do not need the PVC in the trench, only for the portion above ground. Once inside the building, the PVC is not required.
    Last edited by Randy Gillard; 10-02-2006 at 2:43 PM.
    Cheers
    Randy

When I put my house service in I placed it in pvc. The electrician told me that the last few feet had to be direct bury though because ground heaving could cause the PVC to pull away from the house. Not sure about that but it is what I was told.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

As I wilol also be running TECK cable to my garage, I was wondering how you terminate the TECK Cable itself?? ie How does the cable enter the building? Do you use a regular LB fitting? I will be running 3-3 Teck cable for a 100 Amp panel. Possibly you could shed some light on this Randy?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Derek Tuchscherer
    As I wilol also be running TECK cable to my garage, I was wondering how you terminate the TECK Cable itself?? ie How does the cable enter the building? Do you use a regular LB fitting? I will be running 3-3 Teck cable for a 100 Amp panel. Possibly you could shed some light on this Randy?
    You can by end connectors specifically for TECK cable. Just call any industrial electrical supply house.

The PVC sleeve on the exterior makes a 90 into the building using an LB.
    Cheers
    Randy