Thread: South American mesquite

South American mesquite

Today I went shopping and bought some South American mesquite (Argentina, I think). It's amazing how much color difference there is once you get it home and start cutting. Very much similar to the difference between African and Honduras mahogany. In fact, the texture of the SA mesquite is more mahogany-like than the Texas (honey) mesquite...and the grain seems to have more 'ribbon' figure, also like the mahogany(s).

So if anybody out there is interested (Mike Mastin?)...heads up. This isn't to say it's 'bad' wood...I just don't think it'll mix with the 'real' stuff.

I guess I'll have plenty of material for small tables that don;t go with anything.

KC

SA Mesquite

KC,

I have seen a little bit of the South American Mesquite and agree that it is not even close to the same as our Texas Mesquite.
    From people that I talked to about this wood, the big deal is the wood has far fewer defects than our Honey Mesquite. I personally could care less as the defects in Mesquite are part of its alure. Texas Mesquite is without question one of my favorite woods, defects and all :-)
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mastin
    KC,

I have seen a little bit of the South American Mesquite and agree that it is not even close to the same as our Texas Mesquite.
    From people that I talked to about this wood, the big deal is the wood has far fewer defects than our Honey Mesquite. I personally could care less as the defects in Mesquite are part of its alure. Texas Mesquite is without question one of my favorite woods, defects and all :-)
    You're right...it's long and clear and straight, and there's plety of it. Somehow or another I've kinda worked myself into a corner by using too much 'clear' material in the pieces I build and sell for myself. People are beginning to expect it... ...so my search continues!

KC

I hope that your customers are paying for all of the trouble that you are going through to find clear Mesquite KC :-) That is almost like finding a diamond in a haystack many times!
    I think that someone loved working Mesquite so much that they invented epoxy :-)
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

I wonder what "south american mesquite" really is. Importers dream up lumber names. I've seen Phillipine Mahogany, South American Cherry, Peruvian walnut, African mahogany, and recently Chilean Alder. None of these woods look like, or work like, the woods they're named after. I don't think the trees are botanically related either.