Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Made Panel Clamps

1. Shop Made Panel Clamps

First off, I did not know if I should put this thread here or over at the Neander side, but I decided here, as this kind of clamp is used by ALL woodworkers (I would think).

I'm looking for some ideas for making up some clamps to keep panel glue ups flat and tight when gluing.

I do not use biscuits.

Here are a few that I've found.....

Attachment 47851
    This is the Lee Valley set up, I think it woud work fairly well, but they are pricey (sorry Robin!) I think I could make some of these, so the basic design is an option.

Attachment 47852
    A very basic wedge clamp, but I'd worry about the boards cupping...?

Attachment 47853
    These are a kit you buy and use your own wood, I have seen a variation on these, that I was thinking of using.

I anyone else has an idea or two, or can point me to something else on the web, please do!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan; 11-24-2006 at 4:24 AM.

Stu,

I like your idea (the middle one), but what would keep the whole panel from cupping? One advantage to the Lee Valley system is that it useds 2x4s on edge to resist this. That may be what you meant by what you said. I read it as individual boards, which will warp if they want with most systems.

Why not use the "peg system" on thicker stock?

David, who has been putting off the Lee Valley "way"

3. Hi David, yeah that is what I mean, I guess if the wood was thick enough, it should not cup, but on thinner stock, it might?

I saw another one, I'm trying to remember where, that had a top and bottom piece of wood, and some grooves in it for some hooks of a sort.......aarrrggghh darn brain, wish it would work....

Cheers!

4. aahhhh..........

Found it, my buddy Wongo over at the Oz WW forum
    (The ubeautDOTcomDOTau Guys) I'll attach a few pics here.

Attachment 47855

Attachment 47856

Attachment 47857

Attachment 47858

I think this looks like it would work well, but I have a few mods in mind.......

5. For one, I'd use some thicker metal, and I was thinking of using hooks and grooves, instead of bolts, as it would be faster, I think, but maybe I'm over thinking it.........?

Attachment 47859
    One of the things brought up over at the Oz forum was making the bottoms of the wooden clamp pieces have a slight radius, this seems like a good idea, and could be accomplished by using a router and a template (Easier to make the template exact than trying to make the wooden pieces all exactly the same..?).

Attachment 47861
    Here is a pic about the tension on the wood applied by the clamp, one camp thinks that the radiused surface is not needed, the other thinks it is.

Attachment 47860
    The clamps in use, Wongo likes them, and is happy with his effort.

Now about my mods..............(I'll have to make some pics, so I'll get back to you all )

Yeah, it looks that might pull panels flat. I like that idea. OK, modify away. Then post pics. Remember "no pics, it didn't happen".

I usually end up laying a straight edge across my panel, then clamping where needed with deep throat clamps. This idea looks better.

David

Stu, I like it, and your post is timely. I was thinking of making just such a thing but I hadn't really thought it through yet. Looking forward to seeing how your mods work!

Cheers
    Hans

stu, use either angle iron or square tubing and forget about the crown....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

9. Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    stu, use either angle iron or square tubing and forget about the crown....02 tod
    Gee, I could use my MIG too.......

Better than wood?

Cheaper by far as well...... Hmm, you got me thinking now, all steel, paint them, as steel rusts, and the oil on it leaves marks...... Hmmmm indeed.

Dang it Tod, you've gone and steered me in the right direction yet again!

Stu, the whole principle of the Bowclamp (see the SMC manufacturer's forum for the same) is the slightly curved face which is illustrated in a picture in your post. One of the advantages of Craig's version is the precision of the slight curve on the surface which he does with CNC technology so you get even clamping. The logistics cost for you, however, might be prohibitive...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Has anyone seen or built the ones in Woodsmith, #164, pg. 6? I was thinking about building some of these, as they look like they would be very easy to place the pressure where it is needed.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Stu, the whole principle of the Bowclamp (see the SMC manufacturer's forum for the same) is the slightly curved face which is illustrated in a picture in your post. One of the advantages of Craig's version is the precision of the slight curve on the surface which he does with CNC technology so you get even clamping. The logistics cost for you, however, might be prohibitive...
    I've had a VERY good look at the Bowclamps, brilliant idea, but yeah, shipping them would be killer.

Cheers!

13. OK, I got busy tonight, after thinking on this for a few days.

Took me about an hour, including some head scratching and digging for stock..........

I cut two pieces of 1" tube about 26" long, I then drilled some holes in them....

Attachment 48014
    Sorry about the quality of the pics, cell phone again
    I also did not take a lot of pics, as this kind of metal working leaves the hands dirty, and I did not want to be getting my nice new cell phone all dirty....

Attachment 48015
    Here it is all assembled and applying pressure.
    Attachment 48016
    I, of course, cranked it right up to see how much pressure I could apply, and boy it works well!

Attachment 48017
    That is nice dry Beech and it squished it like no one's business.

Attachment 48018
    I'm sure this is WAY more pressure that will be needed for glue ups.

OK, now I have to figure out how many I want to build, maybe 6 or 8 in total?

This one is the prototype, so there are some things I'll do differently for sure on the next ones.

A couple of fixes, some rounding off of sharp corners, some paint, and I think I'm going to be fine for panel clamps!

Cheers!

Great Work Stu!
    Thanks for the pics + ideas
    Timo

Stu,
    The prototype looks great! I think this is one for the new plans forum!!

Wes

PS - If you need someone to do a CAD drawing, let me know.