Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire! Fire!

Fire! Fire!

...Shouts the wife in a panic. Well, I won't leave you in high suspense - there were no injuries and no major damage.

Well, this weekend I was building a lumber rack and cutting some pipe with the cutoff saw. I took the extra precautions of sweeping the sawdust up, placing a sheet of drywall behind the saw to dampen the majority showering sparks, gas cans outside, and had on my safety glasses. So, I thought I was good to go and I did look around the shop after each 10' section of pipe was cut into 6 pieces.

There's one thing about having your shop in a garage or any building that you share usage with others. Unbeknownst to me, my wife had placed the gas powered line trimmer back in the garage in between sections of pipe. On top of that, she's developed a habit of not tightening caps(my 2yo daughter can easily loosen caps my wife tightens.) So, the line trimmer was lying on the floor behind me as I was cutting pipe with my ear muffs on and I faintly hear fire fire. I turned around to see a flaming puddle roughly the size of folded newspaper under the line trimmer which is next to my plywood rack. Thankfully, the garage door was open to allow pipe to be brought in easily. I picked up the line trimmer and heaved it into the grass about 20 feet from the garage. Hear comes the wife with the fire extinguisher ready to spray the spot on the floor. I immediately recalled someone's recent posting about flaming curls coming from a turning and the fire jumping all over the place. Since the spot on the floor was starting to die down and nothing else was in jeopardy, I told her not to spray it but spray the line trimmer instead(I didn't say before its gas tank exploded to avoid causing her to really panic.) With the line trimmer doused and the spot on the concrete floor burned off, the potential disasterous outcome was avoided.

While we were lucky, it could have easily been otherwise. The good news is that I finally have permission to build a shed to get the lawn stuff out of the woodshop, I mean garage. That, of course, will give me more room to put more tools in there too!!

BTW, the lumber rack is done and it's helping out on the organization greatly. The rack itself is 24' wide by 8' high by 16" deep. I've also tied a fishing line from both adjoining walls so I can measure the distance from the string to the wall to monitor bowing of that wall. There's going to be a lot of weight hanging on that!!

Thanks for reading and thankfully, I won't have my own "birth of a shop" thread to create at this time.
    Matt

Whew. Glad to hear no one was injured and all you lost was a line trimmer.

Let's see a pic of that lumber rack!

Rob, I'll see if I can get a pic of it tonight.
    Matt

Lumber rack? I want to see some good action shots of the fire fighting. Surely, you stopped to get you camera, right? Glad to hear it wasn't worse then it was. Lars

My mom hollered that to my dad a couple of years ago, lost the garage and house and only the old car that started the disaster a 1941 Packard. Glad you didn't get the same fate.

Fire Extinguishers?

Might be a good time to go to Costco and pick up a multipack of fire extinguishers.

I had a scare a few months ago when one of the capacitors on my dust collector decided to catch fire.

Fortunately, I've got about 4 fire extinguishers mounted around the garage in various places and all I had to do was grab one and douse the flame.

The only problem I had was trying to get the smoke cleared out before the wife came into the garage (didn't work, I got busted!)

Well, of course it has been deemed that it's my fault for the fire. Of course, no comments on quick actions. I'll get some pics of the fire spot and line trimmer tonight along with the lumber rack.
    Matt

It is amazing how a little thing like fire can cause a wife to panic.

It's a good thing I'm at work or I would've gotten in big trouble for laughing at that. I deal with pressure pretty well....it's the idle times that I just don't take serious enough.
    Matt

10. Boy I'm glad you got luck on that one!

sounds like you lumber rack is done alright, it was almost "Well Done"

I agree on the fire extinguishers, buy a few, keep them around, and make sure they are marked when they were made, as most have a limited life.

Cheers!

Woah!! 'Glad everyone and everything is ok!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Glad to hear it worked out for the best...hummm wonder if I get the wife car on fire she won't put it in the garag..er....shop???

I have 3 or 4 fire extingishers at least, got them right after I set one of my tennis shoes on fire, that was from trying to stomp out a oil soaked rag that caught fire, while I was doing one of them it'll only take a minute welding jobs...

And yes, the wife came in about the time I noticed the shoe was on fire and no, she hasn't forgot it...

Al

Okay, here are the pics as promised. See!! It did happen!

The first two are obviously for the lumber rack. Basic design borrowed from somewhere. Consists of 2x4's with 6 holes drilled in it to accept lengths of 3/4"(1.06" OD) pipe. Four 3/8"x6" lag bolts secure each 2x4 to the corresponding 2x4 in the wall. I cut each piece of pipe to 20" which leave a about 16 3/4" of depth on each shelf.

The line trimmer is toast!! Quite frankly, I didn't like it anyway as it was significantly underpowered for using heavier gauge line.

The last picture is of the burn spot on the floor. All of the boards were not there at the time of the incident. However, the horizontal piece behind the boards is where the plywood rack is at. A little too close for comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt

Matt, looks like a good strong lumber rack, thanks for pic's and the write up on how you built it. Good throw on the trimmer, quick thinking. Glad all is safe in your house. Good luck on building that shed.
    Aspire to inspire before you expire.

SMC is user supported. Please consider donating. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

This thread (along with Forrest's) has me thinking it's time to put a 'real' fire extinguisher in my shop. Currently, I just have a little 'toy' extinguisher in there - probably wouldn't put out much of anything. I know they are rated differently, but what rating should a (basement) shop extinguisher have? What is a good size?