Thread: planing segmented rings

planing segmented rings

I've been getting into segmented turnings, and was using a disk sander to sand the rings smooth on top and bottom. However, the rings are getting too big for the sander, so I was thinking I could use a planer. The rings are held together with titebond 2 using the rubbing-to-cause-suction method. Is it safe to run them through a planer, or am i likely to destroy something?
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

I wouldn't expect the ring to survive: at least a few of the segments will be going through "sideways" (grain running parallel to the blades). Probably won't hurt the planer, but there's always the chance of one of the fragments jamming the works somehow and/or spitting out in odd directions.

In any case I doubt the results will be very good.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

thanks, I figured that would be the issue. How do other people do this? I saw someone made that big drumsander for segmented work, but I can't do that. Any suggestions?
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

Prior to getting a horizintal drum sander (18"-36" Delta model), I flattened rings with a block plane. It's trial and error, but you can get pretty good results. I would usually flatten them further with sand paper on a granite plate.

I think though that as the size of the ring goes up it becomes more difficult. You might be able to step up to a larger bevel up plane and be able to do larger rings easier.

The drum sander is really the way to go though. The ease at which it flattens rings is really something.

Bob

I flatten mine on the lathe. If your glue up is reasonable they will be fairly flat to start off. If you have a chuck use the Cole jaws to hold the ring and flatten with either a bowl gouge or scraper. Once it looks flat mark it with a pencil and using a long board covered with sandpaper sand off the pencil marks double check with a straight edge. You now have one flat surface. Glue it to the prior ring or base and go through the flattening process again. It's taken just about as long to do it as it has to type this.

I would love to have a drum sander and have seen a couple used ones for sale but have not been able to bit the bullet yet. I've seen a couple photos for home made ones you use on the lathe. In effect a roller/drum is held between the head and tail stock. A box is attached to the ways and an adjustable angled board tilts up to give you the depth. The piece is then fed through against the lathe rotation. One day I'll try to make up one of these.

Stephen,
    If you lack cole jaws for your chuck, make a Longworth Chuck to hold the rings while you turn and sand one side flat. It's handy to do two or more rings at a time, so you don't have to switch the Longworth and the workpiece on and off the lathe for every ring. A planer will NOT work. Your sanding board should be as flat as possible. Good luck.

Two things you can do: You can flatten the rings on the lathe or you can run them safely through a drum sander and sand them flat. I'll be upgrading my drum sander next year.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have done a few sets of rings on the planer. I just glue the rings together with titebond glue to look like snowmen. I have a few snowmen and then run them through. THat way they are long enough to not have any snipe. I run them with a follower baord so there is no tear out on the back side. Then I cut the rings apart witha thin dovetail saw.