Thread: Need source for acrylic

1. Need source for acrylic

I need to find a source for some acrylic. The material needs be clear on the front and black on the backside. Similar to a mirror only the reflective surface will be black.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Depending where you are you should be able to find a local source in the yellow pages. Or use www.McmasterCarr.com for small qtys.

Michael,

Can you use clear acrylic and spray paint the backside black or do you have to have a solid black acrylic layer?

4. Spray Paint

Spray paint works just fine but I don’t want to do any painting if it’s not necessary.

I've spent a lot of time buying acrylic and have never seen anything like that. Even the matte black acrylic is black with matte black vinyl on it. If you are not going to be cutting it on the laser (or engraving the black side) the easiest way is to apply sign vinyl on one side. Most sign supples sell it in 15", 24", 30" or 48", by the 50 yard roll, 10 yard roll, or by the yard. If you don't need that much see if your local sign shop will sell you some or even apply it for you.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Rowmark makes an engraving plastic called "Reverse LaserMark" that is a layer of clear plastic with a thin layer of laserable colored plastic under it. You engrave away the colored layer and then flip it over with the clear plastic on top. It comes in black as well as other colors.

I have no idea if that will do what you need.

Both the Rowmark and IPI material leave a frosted look after engraving. It looks good but not clear. Color fills on these tend to have a diffused look as well.

Acrylic

I go to my local hardware store and ask for "scrap" plexiglas that they have cut and have small, unusable pieces left. I say that if they are going to throw them, the small pieces away, why not sell them to me at a very reduced price. I usually get some nice pieces that way. I then use "Fusion" paint which fuses to plastic, to paint one side.
    Herman Jeroue