Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking bench

It looks good but if it were me I'd want to see it prior to purchase. I'd pay special attention to the thickness of that top. Often, they are dummied on the edges to look thick but actually are not. Also, the weight for that size seems a bit light. Ideally, I'd build it myself altho the top can be a challenge. My 2 cents....
    Jerry

My first project

I built my own workbench (my first project) off of a modified plan from the Family Handyman (Dec/Jan 06.) It is mostly 3/4" Plywood (9 full sheets,) and is a beast. The top of the bench is 4 sheets of Plywood with a hardboard top for protection. With drawers and storage, this things has to weigh in around 500 - 600lbs. All said and done, I have less than $600 in it. Here are some pictures right after I got done, and before the hardware was added.

bench done_web.jpg

bench open_web.jpg

The other nice thing about building it yourself, you can make it to fit your frame instead of the 'average' person.

Greg

That's a nice looking bench that you built Greg, but I don't think of benches like that as "woodworking benches". It has no vises and no bench dog holes. Right now, I have three benches that I made that are similar to yours (but not as nice as yours) but I don't consider myself to have a woodworking bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    That's a nice looking bench that you built Greg, but I don't think of benches like that as "woodworking benches". It has no vises and no bench dog holes. Right now, I have three benches that I made that are similar to yours (but not as nice as yours) but I don't consider myself to have a woodworking bench.
    Hey Frank, You Read TOO FAST.... He said the pics were taken BEFORE the hardware was added.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt
    Hey Frank, You Read TOO FAST.... He said the pics were taken BEFORE the hardware was added.
    Sorry about my mistake Greg. Please take a picture of your augmented bench and post it.

Thanks for pointing it out Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    I don't know, for $1100 I could find the time and make the bench out of maple. And it would have the changes I wanted.
    I'll make you the same offer I made to another woodworker on a different board.

"I suppose you'd volunteer to come out here to New Mexico, at your own expense of course, and help me finish building my shop, cabinets, work tables, mitre saw/ras table, build the 6 foot by 7 foot sliding barn door, finish the concrete floor, assemble my new unisaw, ras, wide belt sander, lathe, install ducting for my cyclone, install the plumbing for my darkroom, install my 8 foot sink, reassemble my photographic enlarger, should I go on"?

I'm getting ready to retire in a couple of years and I've been saving for this for several years. I have the money to buy the bench but time is more valuable to me than the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henry
    This seems like a great bench for the price...

http://www.lagunatools.com/5workbench.htm

Its around 420lbs
    I'm now leaning towards the Laguna table. I called Lee Valley three times and still have not gotten a response from someone there that knows the details of the design. On the other hand I called Laguna and got an immediate response. I think my objection to the round bench dog hole has been overcome by the weight difference between all the other tables including the Diefenbach. I can live with round holes but not a light weight table.

There is a review posted on woodnet about this bench. From it I gather that he was less than impressed with the fit and finish of that bench. Take a looksee for yourself:

Moderator removed direct link to another forum - TOS Violation
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-05-2006 at 8:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino
    There is a review posted on woodnet about this bench. From it I gather that he was less than impressed with the fit and finish of that bench. Take a looksee for yourself:
    I wish I had seen this review before I had put a deposit on the bench.

After reading it I'm having second thoughts. I have until November until the bench arrives in country so I'll contact the Laguna to get their reaction to the review. I may end up with a Diefenbach afterall. By the way, the 420 pounds they advertise is the shipping weight. The acutual weight is about 300+ pounds according to the salesman. This is for the 7 foot workbench, not the Signature Series.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-05-2006 at 8:45 PM.

rick,have you thought about approaching a local woodworker and asking them if they`d be interested in building you a bench? heck when i get slow that`d be a fun project......but the way things are going now that`ll be a few years .....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Held
    Seems like a lot to me. For 1300 you could buy yourself another cabinet table saw and use the saw as you table. Keep your dada blade set up in the saw so when you need it, your work table becomes a dado cutter. Paul
    That would work. If Dennis's numers are correct, my table saw would be the minimum amout for an 800 lb. woodworker, since it weighs 1600 lbs.

It was actually cheaper to acquire than that workbench from Garrett Wade, and it came with a 5HP motor to boot!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    rick,have you thought about approaching a local woodworker and asking them if they`d be interested in building you a bench? heck when i get slow that`d be a fun project......but the way things are going now that`ll be a few years .....02 tod
    I hadn't thought about that. But I think I'd be too embarrased to ask someone locally. This is a small town and I'd hate it to get arround that I had to hire someone to build it for me. Just think about the grief I've gotten from some of the users on this board.

13. Not knowing the use it'll be put to - - -
    Why not just make a really good bench from 2X(any width) lumber and top it with plywood.

You can make a bigger & better bench leave room for adding drawers etc underneath and still not have such a fancy pantsy bench that you won't feel badly at all about driving screws into it to hold some weird shaped project.
    And when you spill paint all over it, it'll be a good thing as you will enjoy the fresh new finish.

For the price of that bench you can buy a damn good used planer or band saw. Hell, you can get a new planer or band saw. You can purchase a fancy set of carving tools or some high end english dovetails saws.

It is just a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    Not knowing the use it'll be put to - - -
    Why not just make a really good bench from 2X(any width) lumber and top it with plywood.

You can make a bigger & better bench leave room for adding drawers etc underneath and still not have such a fancy pantsy bench that you won't feel badly at all about driving screws into it to hold some weird shaped project.
    And when you spill paint all over it, it'll be a good thing as you will enjoy the fresh new finish.

For the price of that bench you can buy a damn good used planer or band saw. Hell, you can get a new planer or band saw. You can purchase a fancy set of carving tools or some high end english dovetails saws.

It is just a bench.
    I'm not rich but I am comfortable and I can afford the bench. I've been saving for a few years and was able to take advantage of the big sale at Woodworkers Supply last May and bought a new Unisaw, RAS, wide belt sander and few other goodies. I even got a free 14 inch lathe out of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine
    I hadn't thought about that. But I think I'd be too embarrased to ask someone locally. This is a small town and I'd hate it to get arround that I had to hire someone to build it for me. Just think about the grief I've gotten from some of the users on this board.
    think about it rick, there very well may be some poor kid close to you just about to go back to the 9-5 grind `cause he`s not making enough with his fledgling business to feed his 4 kids........but geeze he sure loves woodworking, maybe somebody will have a job to pull him through for a bit, not to mention the word of mouth referals.........tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.