Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodworking bench

Woodworking bench

Looks like GarrettWade has come out with a new bench and it looks like what I'm looking for at the right price.

I'd like some other opinions. Does anyone have any idea who makes it for them? And no, I don't have time to build one myself. I have too many other projects in the works.

Here is a link to the bench:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=105755

The top looks pretty good. I think the base is a little flimsy, that may be why the bench only weighs 260#'s. Seems like a good value.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine
    And no, I don't have time to build one myself. I have too many other projects in the works.

Here is a link to the bench:

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...&itemID=105755
    I don't know, for $1100 I could find the time and make the bench out of maple. And it would have the changes I wanted.

One thing I've found by reading a few books on workbenches for a woodworker? They need to be at least twice as heavy as the person using the bench. So my bench, when I make it, will need to weigh in at just over 450 pounds for a minimum weight. Besides that, it will need to take strong lateral forces and not wrack on ya. I have a cheap bench now, and it's like trying to hand plane a wet noodle on the back of a bucking horse.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    I don't know, for $1100 I could find the time and make the bench out of maple. And it would have the changes I wanted.
    Make that Solid Walnut and still have money in the bank.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Since it only weighs 260#, the base looks to be made from fairly light material and the stretchers don't look to me like they are wide enough to do a good job preventing racking if you were going to do some heavy hand work on it. I wonder how thick the top is, since they neglected to mention that in their specs and many times mfrs put a wide board on the outside to cover up just how thin the top really is unless you look UNDER it. The European Red Beech part is good, but I'll just bet it isn't very thick.

Let's see.......$1099 + 199 shipping.......hmmm....$1299.........I think I would definitely want to see it in person and shake it around a bit and REALLY look it over before I threw any Plastic at them, (even IF I were inclined to buy a "Store Bought" Bench).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 10-04-2006 at 1:40 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

As in many other things sometimes it comes down to time versus money. Many of us have built our own workbenches and saved considerably in the process. Personally, I had a great time building mine, it isn't perfect but it does the job.

If you have the time, build one!

Jay

My concern would be quality, particularly of the vises and the support structure If I were going to buy a bench, I would opt for a Veritas bench in the same price range (see http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...2&cat=1,41637). Lee Valley's benches are of proven quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    My concern would be quality, particularly of the vises and the support structure If I were going to buy a bench, I would opt for a Veritas bench in the same price range (see http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...2&cat=1,41637). Lee Valley's benches are of proven quality.
    Actually, I prefer the Diefenbach design better than the Leevalley bench. There is something about the round bench dog holes that bother me.

Laguna

This seems like a great bench for the price...

http://www.lagunatools.com/5workbench.htm

Its around 420lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Levine
    Actually, I prefer the Diefenbach design better than the Leevalley bench. There is something about the round bench dog holes that bother me.
    To each his own! I am going to make my own bench (this winter is the plan), and I am going to make it with round holes. One of the reasons is to be able to use all the great Veritas stops, holds, etc. that fit into those round holes.

Seems like a lot to me. For 1300 you could buy yourself another cabinet table saw and use the saw as you table. Keep your dada blade set up in the saw so when you need it, your work table becomes a dado cutter. Paul

Rick,

I can see no mention on the Garret Wade page of how thick the top is. Sure it looks good in the photo, but we know that is just the skirt. How thick is the top? How thick is that skirt?

And Heavy is good. I built myself a lightweight bench. No good. I added built-in drawer unit. Better. But I can still shove the thing around without that much effort.

I'm starting to think that it would be simpler to just bolt a bench directly to the concrete floor. (simpler than trying to make it weigh 500-700lbs )

...art

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Held
    Seems like a lot to me. For 1300 you could buy yourself another cabinet table saw and use the saw as you table. Keep your dada blade set up in the saw so when you need it, your work table becomes a dado cutter. Paul
    Paul, I like the way you think!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

On the same page

I'm like you, I don't want to use shop time to build a bench. I want a good, heavy bench, but would rather buy on ethan spend the time to build it. I also like the look of the Diefenbach benches. Still saving up at this point!!!

Jim