Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mendacity Alert #1

Yep, typo. My bad...

Mark,

Yes, that was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I fixed it.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Pebbly. Hmmm.
    Mine look like they have been glass beaded, then coated with a rust inhibitor. Dull looking gray.

Not sure what to say

Steve,

Take a look at the first pic in my first post. Do they look like that (pebbly, but striations along the long axis)? I wonder if Bosch changed manufacturers?

FYI, I took all three (1/2, 3/4, and 1") back this morning. I'll probably get another Irwin or maybe order a set from Lee Valley.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Looked again and compared.

No. Mine are smooth. Not like your pic at all.

Yep, I think you have the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Looked again and compared.

No. Mine are smooth. Not like your pic at all.
    It's sad when "New and Improved" isn't! That's why the original title was "Mendacity Alert".

Dan.

Yes. I agree.
    I think it was in the hand tool forum, someone posted a pic of a new nicholson file. Made in Mexico I think.
    It looked pitiful.

Nicholson has been around since dirt was invented, and has been a good leader in that market.
    But apparently they are going downhill.

I can speak to this from recent experience: I was drilling new bench dog holes in my 2 1/4 maple wb. My old spades were worn and draining the batteries on my drills. I was fortunate to inherit large set of brad points from my dad. The 3/4"er dulled quickly. I competed about 4 of the 12 holes in 30 mins. So I went to local HD picked up the Bosch set and was done with the other 8 in less than 10 mins. The cut was so agressive with 18v Makita drill I had to be careful not to break my wrist. So in my experience, I am satisfied. Just mho.
    Last edited by Bailey John; 10-05-2006 at 3:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey John
    I can speak to this from recent experience: I was drilling new bench dog holes in my 2 1/4 maple wb. My old spades were worn and draining the batteries on my drills. I was fortunate to inherit large set of brad points from my dad. The 3/4"er dulled quickly. I competed about 4 of the 12 holes in 30 mins. So I went to local HD picked up the Bosch set and was done with the other 8 in less than 10 mins. The cut was so agressive with 18v Makita drill I had to be careful not to break my wrist. So in my experience, I am satisfied. Just mho.
    John,

Hmmm... Your bigs don't look like Bosch RapidFeed bits. Are you sure that they aren't Irwin? Or maybe another model of the Bosch bit?

Look at the center point of your drills carefully and then look at the point of my Irwin SpeedBors (pic in first post). They look exactly the same to me.

Your bits don't look the same as the Bosch RapidFeed bits.

Regards,

Dan.

Dan,I found that pic on the HD website and your right, I thought my had the same machining as your pic. The case is the same though.

I can take a pic at home tonight of the bit I used and the holes in the bench top. Nevertheless the whole set was $19.99 or someting like that and my forsteners and old bits weren't gonna get the job done.

Hi Dan,

I bought a few of those last year, I agree that they seem to cut slower than my Irwins, but my real peeve is that the 1" drills a 1 1/16" hole. Yeah, yeah, I know, who expects precision from a spade bit. I use them for lock installation, and just hate seeing the edges of the hole peeking out from under the bolt plate. You wouldn't think you'd have to grind down a new tool just to make it the size it says on the packaging.

Anyway, I'll stick with the Irwins, or better yet some junk shop flatties.

John

11. I have a Bosch Jig saw, and the bits I was buying for it, branded "Bosch" were very good, liked them a lot. Last time I went to Joyful Honda, they have a HUGE Bosch display area now (Bosch is one of the few non-Japanese tool makers to have had a presence in Japan for a long time) and they are really pushing Bosch. The cordless drill I bought a while back, was a Bosch 14.4v, it did not live up to the other Bosch tools I have. Anyway, the jigsaw bits I bought turned out to be crap, they did not cut well or straight, and they got dull really fast.

I noticed before that the old blades had like 6 languages on them, they were made in Germany. These new bits had English and Japanese, they are made in Malaysia.....

Next time I went back to Joyful, I searched through all of the blades they had, and I bought all the German made ones I could, cost me a few bucks, but I should not run out any time soon!

Too bad about the spade bits.

Cheers!

Guess what...

I went into HD and Lowes yesterday. Those nice Irwins? They've been replaced by different drills with the same name and packaging. I didn't buy them, but they looked even cheaper!

Dan.

Dan,

Take a look at these self feeding spade bits from Greenlee:

http://contractorschoiceinc.lohrehos...roducts_id=219

You can click the link for a web page that gives you more info.
    Les

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dan. This is a valuable and viable post. This isn't brand-bashing by any means. I'm sorry for your experience and a bit (no pun intended) surprised by the Bosch bits behaving badly but, thanks for sharing so the rest of us don't have to experience this for ourselve$.

I now tend to be wary of reviews unless posted by (as close as I can tell) folks that do not advertise (period) the product being reviewed or the competition. I especially am fortified if I comment on a reviewed product here and get the Creekers input. I'll take "real world" over "the lab" anytime. Often the folks who use these items like yourself will have a different view than the reviewer. Thanks!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Stu,

Just looked at the blades I bought last week. Both packages say made in Switzerland. A bit strange they're selling junk in your area. Some kinda tariff deal perhaps, sorry to hear it though. Seems like you ought to be able to find a quality asian equivalent.

John