Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying some Festool

Buying some Festool

I'm going to buy some Festool and I am trying to decide where. I bought my first Festool sander from the local Woodcraft, but they botched the order so badly (took 6 months to get the sander, hose, and paper), that I want to go elsewhere. I read tons of posts on the Web saying to buy from "Uncle" Bob Marino, but I've emailed him twice from his website and once via plain email of the past couple weeks with no response. I was about to order from him online today, and at checkout I saw that he added sales tax. (He is in NY, and I'm in AZ) If I have to pay sales tax, why buy online? Might as well buy local to help the woodcraft stay open. Is there another trusted online seller that doesn't collect sales tax...joe

Joe,
    If there is a Festool ISA in your state, you will pay your states sales tax regardless where you order.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rowe
    Joe,
    If there is a Festool ISA in your state, you will pay your states sales tax regardless where you order.
    Steve
    Steve, might be a silly question, what is an ISA?

It's a price fixed product line. Buy local, there's no incentive to do otherwise.

You will pay tax on any Festool purchase in any state, check it out on festoolusa.com

I would purchase from bobmarinosbesttools.com

I wonder if a SPAM filter got your emails or something, because I've been emailing with Bob for weeks with about every question in the book and he always responded. The good thing about Festool is you'll pay the same price everywhere. I was in a Woodcraft store recently and was going to purchase there, but couldn't get anyone to help me (only reason was to get the tool right then). I decided to email Bob and he helped me...I then made a purchase and had my tools a few days later, worth the wait, I felt that if I have a problem he would be there. Woodcraft, 5 people working in the store, only one knew Festool, he was outside talking to some guy for 35 minutes while I waited, no thanks...

It's also nice to support the guys who participate in our forums, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Thornton
    The good thing about Festool is you'll pay the same price everywhere.
    I don't think that's a good thing at all.

If ordered from woodcraft.com, you don't pay sales tax (at least not with a shipping/billing address in Texas). There is also the added benefit that you can return it within a year for a full refund if you end up not wanting it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    Steve, might be a silly question, what is an ISA?
    Not a silly question I've just spent too much time in an industry that loves acronyms. ISA = Independent Sales Agent
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Rudd
    I don't think that's a good thing at all.
    I love the fact that the prices are the same no matter where you purchase them. Reason being is that I know I didn't miss out on a better price somewhere else, saves on shopping around, I get to buy from who provides me the best service, when normally IMHO, better service comes at a cost, I know that two weeks after I purchase a Festool product, it's not going to go on sale...it levels the playing field.

Festool has built a great product and it's available to everyone, at the same cost, level playing field, excellent dealer system...

Bob Marino typically responds promptly, so please do not give up on him.

Other alternatives:

Buy direct from Festool through their web site.

Buy from McFeely's at http://www.mcfeelys.com/festool/

Buy locally from Woodcraft - but you already know that one.

Buy locally from Woodworker's Source in Phoenix or Tucson.

Buy from any Independent Sales Associate (ISA) or dealer - there is a list of them on the Festool web site.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Festool Ordering

I usually order off the festool website. They still give credit to my local shop, I think. My local store is listed on my invoices as the salesman. But rather than drive across town to order and again to pick up I just order online. They have a warehouse in Reno,NV. I usually get orders in two days. I like my local store but they only stock major powertool items and they are about 30 miles away plus they close at 4:30pm.

I have Festool...

I live in Washington. I've purchased from Woodcraft of Seattle, Edensaw Woods in Renton, and Eastside Saw & Sales in Bellevue. All three are great dealers. All three have people with expertise in Festool. Perfect? No. Great? Yes.

I could (and maybe should) have purchased from Bob Marino, but purchased locally because I only purchased when I had an identified need. Unfortunately, I identified the need just prior to buying the saw. I.e., I needed it NOW! (That's my limitation, not any limitation of Festool or Bob.)

Even though I've never purchased from Bob, I've written to him multiple times with questions. He has always answered quickly. And, he knows that I will probably buy locally to get instant delivery.

He is EXTREMELY knowledgable and a good guy to deal with. By all means, if you have a Festool dealer locally and you feel more comfortable buying from them, go for it.

If you want or need to buy online, Bob's the guy!

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Delaney
    If ordered from woodcraft.com, you don't pay sales tax (at least not with a shipping/billing address in Texas). There is also the added benefit that you can return it within a year for a full refund if you end up not wanting it anymore.
    Bruce,

I believe Woodcraft terminated that policy in June or July. Check it out.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark
    Bruce,

I believe Woodcraft terminated that policy in June or July. Check it out.

Regards,

Dan.
    Dan,

I can't say for sure but I just went to woodcraft.com, added the MFT-1080 to my basket, went through the entire checkout process, short of actually clicking the 'place order' button. The total cost had no sales tax component.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Delaney
    Dan,

I can't say for sure but I just went to woodcraft.com, added the MFT-1080 to my basket, went through the entire checkout process, short of actually clicking the 'place order' button. The total cost had no sales tax component.
    Bruce,

I was referring to the 1-year return policy.

I think the sales tax issue refers to whether or not a company has a local branch in the state. And, it may depend on the company.

Regards,

Dan.