Thread: Freud Vs. Timberline Forstner Bits

Freud Vs. Timberline Forstner Bits

Hi. Today, while replacing my spade bit (review from another post), I decided to buy a 3/4" Timberline (Amana company) Carbide Forstner bit. The price was reasonable and about 2/3 of the cost of a Freud bit.

When I brought it home, I checked my tool box and realized that I had a small, older set of Freud HSS Forstner bits, which included a 3/4" bit. I thought, "Hmmm... Since carbide is suposed to be better than HSS, I'll compare them." And proceeded to drill some test holes in a convenient scrap 2X6.

What I found startled me. My HSS Freud bit went through the 2X6 like butter. The Timberline carbide worked OK but wasn't anywhere near as fast as the Freud and the hole wasn't quite as smooth.

So, I tried my other Freud Forstner bits. They cut very well too.

Am I missing something here? Are my expectations about carbide wrong? I.e., that it lasts longer, but doesn't necessarily cut any better than HSS?

Or, is it simply the brand? I expected a little difference between brands, but not a massive difference like I found. Is Timberline a second tier brand? Is is just not a good company? (Even though it's an Amana company.) Freud's a good company, but they aren't that much better than other high-quality brands are they?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

From my experience, in most cases HSS tools cut cleaner and faster than carbide, are easier to sharpen than carbide, but just don't hold their edge as long as the carbide, especially in material with a high silica content. There are different grades of carbide, ie; finer/coarser grain which can effect the sharpness that can be attained and then different brands of tools are sharpened with different final grit grinders/polishers.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Dan,

I agree with Norman. I have a set of carbide Forstners from Freud and a couple of Freud HSS Forstners. Both the HSS bits cut better than the carbide. And I have found that in my case, the holes are a bit more accurate. At the time that I bought my carbide set, I was dissappointed that the 1/4" bit drilled a hole .010" oversize. I bought it to drill holes for some pegged tennons and this was sloppy for that job. Freud gave me the old story, "It's only wood. It will move anyway, and that is within spec." Before I buy more of those, I will buy only those I can handle, examine and measure.

David

The carbide, being harder and more brittle, doesn't take as keen an edge as the HHS. That said, it could also be the geometry of the cutters...hard to tell from here!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Freud carbide forstenesr I have work excellent. I have been using one for clock fitups for about 18 years and I have a couple I use for drilling out turnings. I think they work slick as can be and I always choose those over the Delta HSS set I have.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The carbide, being harder and more brittle, doesn't take as keen an edge as the HHS. That said, it could also be the geometry of the cutters...hard to tell from here!
    This same point was discussed, referring to table saw blades, on another forum I used to belong to. The carbide doesn't sharpen as sharp as steel and requires more power to do the same job. Everything in life is a trade-off.

Thumbs up Material more than brand...

It sounds like the issue is mostly material - HSS cuts better than carbide. Regarding the Freud carbide vs Delta HSS, it looks might be an issue of overall cutter quality - Freud is known for cutters, while Delta is known for its machinery.

I'm thinking...

1) The best alternative for me is a good quality HSS drill bit, even if I have to replace or sharpen them more often.

2) My opinion of Freud is moving higher. I've had a generally positive opinion of them, but also thought they were too costly. Now, I'm starting think that maybe they are worth it. (Oh well, It's only money!)

Thanks for the great feedback,

Dan.

p.s. I just ordered a batch of Whiteside router bits. I think I'll try getting a Freud bit to compare. Inquiring minds want to know!
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark
    - Freud is known for cutters, while Delta is known for its machinery.
    dan, to the best of my knowledge delta has always farmed out their cutters to name brand manufactures....so a delta blade or bit wasn`t really made by delta, only marketed by them........kinda like their tools nowadays.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.