Thread: Woodcraft classes

Woodcraft classes

I was searching around on their site today and it seems Woodcraft has a store not more than a few miles from me. The lathe classes they offer look appealing. Has anybody here taken any of them? If so are there any particular classes you can recommend?

Thanks!

I've taken three of them: two good, one so-so.

The problem with recommending them (or not) is that they're very dependent on exactly who is teaching them at your location. But if you've never turned before, it's not too bad a way to find out if it appeals to you.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I wood agree with Lee. They are very much instructor dependent. My first exposure to turning was through the classes and I have enjoyed them all. However, I will say that there are a few I probably would not go back and take another class from. I got to understand their instruction style and how it does not fit with my learning style. It does not mean it was bad I just enjoyed learning from others better.

Regards,
    Jeff
    There are three types of people in this world: those who want things to happen, those who make things happen and those who just wonder what the heck happened.

My very first turning experience was at a local Woodcraft for a pen turning class a number of years ago...taught by the inimitable Bill Grumbine. I think you'll find that the local classes are a nice start and there is a good chance that the instructor is also a member of the local turning group. You'll want to join that, too!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree that the classes are entirely dependent upon the instructor. I took a class at one store where the instructor was not very good, but it took a while before I realized it and in the meanwhile, my bowl turning was off to a bad start.

I know that the instructors at the local Woodcraft are top notch.

Bill

I took a slightly different approach. I'd never touched a lathe in my life - nor knew anyone else who had - yet instinctively knew it was something I had to get into. So I sought out a local pro who also gave instruction and explained that I needed to try it before I plunged wallet first into the abyss.

I ended up spending one of the most rewarding Saturday's of my life in an all day one-on-one session with a patient, skilled, and nurturing instructor. I spent something like $150 to $200 on that session, but I've spent "more" since.
    Only the Blue Roads

You probably saved a bunch of $ too with the knowledge you gained (though it probably doesn't offset what you have spent :-D ).

I felt Woodcraft was a good value for a class. I took an introduction to bowl turning with Andy Barnum and liked it alot. It was more about learning to make a bowl than actually making sure I walked away with one.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have taken several classes at the Seattle Woodcraft. All have been interesting and well worth the cost. My lathe classes were especially good as the instructor is excellent.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

It doesn't matter if you're new at turning or if you've been around it for quite a while, watching someone else do it is going to teach you something. I think the woodcraft classes would be a great start. If you have a chance to attend a turning club meeting it's even better, like a class with a room full of instructors. The main thing though is to practice what you've been taught as soon as possible after the lesson while it's still fresh in your mind.