Thread: Grandbaby Cradle - finally done...

1. Grandbaby Cradle - finally done...

This is the first real flatwork project I've tackled... my first grandbaby is due the first week of November this year, so I decided to build her a cradle. I bought the plans for it a while back. I had some Walnut and Cherry in the shop to choose from and daughter picked Walnut.

Thanks to Joe Meazle and Dennis Peacock for helping me get this done. Special thanks to Terry Hatfield for picking me up some thick stock from his secret supplier and shipping it to Conway!!!

Daughter is having a baby shower at her house this weekend and wanted it done by then if possible. So Joe and Dennis helped me hustle and get it done. It's wiped down with Watco and I'll apply finish next week after the shower. My son and wife were also very helpful on this project. Also had some online consulting from a few guys that proved to be very valuable - can't say thanks enough.

I realize most, if not all, of you guys won't be impressed with the design or the details. Heck, I'm definitely not impressed with the details now that it's done...LOL I'll tackle another one someday for my son and hopefully it'll be a little better and the design will be modified, for sure.

I'll quit jabberin' now... just excited to have it done... ready to saddle back up on the lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for lookin'.... last pic is of my baby w/ my grandbaby...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 10-06-2006 at 12:02 AM.

Beautiful cradle Mark. I'm sure daughter and grandbaby will love it!

Great Job. Definitely heirloom status.

Nothin' to apologize about there, Mark. You did a great job, and I'm guessing that cradle will be in the family for a long time. (Yeah, that was Great-Grandpa Mark's first and only piece of flatwork. We were never able to pry him away from the lathe after that.)

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Mark, great job on that craddle. After seening such exellent craftsmanship on that you should do more flat work.

Looks great to me Mark!!!!! I'm sure it will be cherished!!! It is a true family heriloom. Congrats on the grandbaby too...but don't that make you feel really old???

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

7. I already felt old, Terry. This makes gettin' old FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark,
    Great looking cardle. Love the walnut. Good design also. Joe and Dennis are two very helpful gentlemen.

Rick

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rick de Roque
    Joe and Dennis are two very helpful gentlemen.
    AGREED! I could not have gotten this done without their help. Both of these guys let me bring my work to their shops, and also came to my shop to help. Great to have friends like this.
    Last edited by Mark Cothren; 10-06-2006 at 10:14 AM.

nice job ol` man .....tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I think you did a wonderful job on the cradle...and it appears that DD is pleased and ready to do her part! Congrats to all of you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...