Thread: George's Gaffed Walnut

Talking George's Gaffed Walnut

Well this piece was a last minute decision to to on the way home from work. Again wasn't sure what it was going to turn out till the wood talked. So when I got home after putting my beautiful redhead to bed I grabbed a piece of walnut that my Dad fanageled from George and went to town and this is what I came up with. It will be for a dear friend of the family that we will be seeing this weekend. I again used my favorite minwax mahogany red but this time since I did not have much time for the finish I tried my Pop's suggestion and thied the water base poly. Not that impressed with it but it does not look that bad in a pinch. I hope everyone enjoys this quick piece. Please let me know what you think. By the way the back drop is part of the oak computer desk my Pop is making for my mother for the new house.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're off to a good start, Chris. I'm sure your friend will like it a lot.

Since you asked, I think you'll find the walnut looks better without the Minwax stain. I know it looks kind of pale when you get done sanding it, but the first coat of clear finish (often an oil finish of some type) will really make the natural colors come alive. By not staining the wood, it helps you avoid the dark patches like the ones in the second and third picture. You can get a sneak preview of how the wood will darken with a clear finish by wetting it with a damp paper towel or spray bottle. (You'll probably need to touch up the sanding after it dries, but in the end, it'll be even smoother than before.) Try it, and you'll see what I mean.

gaffed walnut

Chris,
    Vaughn is right on the mark , i do alot of walnut for taxiderminst (sp) and they always say why so light put some stain on it... untill i hit the blank with water and they oh and ah, i try to book match their plaques and that helps and no matter what , a great finish will cover up a lot of mistakes....
    Paul
    John 3:16

Chris that is a beauty. I don't see a thing wrong with the finish. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very good, Chris.

You did better than I could have ever done with it .
    Be Blessed

George

Thank you all

Thank you all for your comments. Vaughn, MY Pop take every piece I do and rubs MS on it while I am sanding it to show me the natural finish. Natural is beautiful and all, and I do need to try some pieces with natural color but I love to try to bring out other colors to go well with the grain in the wood. The candle even lighten up and evened out in a few days and went well with her new leather couches. George I think you could have done just as well and KEEP the wood coming I will be glad to turn it for you and show you what the wood is saying. By the way can anyone give me a good link on how to do inside out turning. I know I'm a little green still when it comes to turning and that i haven't even turned a bonker yet, which I will do by this weekend, I would like to try to do a set of candle stick holders out of bubinga for my wifes friends wedding next month and would like to do some inside out turning on it.