Thread: Jointer buying advise

Jointer buying advise

I'd like to know what is your take on the RIDGID JP0610 6 1/8" jointer? My local Orange Borg is having a special and with some gift cards I have I could get it for a song ( well.. ok...a long song then ).

I know...I know, 8" would be just bliss but I work from a 1 1/2 car garage and I just can't fit a big jointer inside... unless I'm willing to move some machinery into the house. That option quickly disolved when my wife gave me "the look" for vaguely mentionned it.

I'm interested in anyone's experience with it. Is it easy to adjust? Does it keeps its ajustment? Quality of assembly, etc. What about their lifetime warranty? Is it worth it, a gimmick or a cool safety net?

I already own some RIDGID tools and so far they're pretty good so that I makes it pretty tempting....

Thanks for reading!
    AT

Knowledge is to know tomatoes are fruits.
    Wisdom is to know not to put any in a fruit salad.

Alain, I've been using a Ridgid jointer for about 4 years in my hobby shop. Bigger would always be better, but I've been happy with it. There's a whole lot of No Big Difference among the various flavors of 6" imported jointers, so I feel the choice mostly comes down to features (e.g., some include a mobile base) and price.

Yup

I have a Jet that I got used....for a song, but my BIL has a Ridgid that I've used extensively. works great.

When you think about it, it's a simple piece of machinery. The Ridgid has worked very well for him.

Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Alain, I have had the Rigid jointer for about six months and am pleased. I think it is good value for the money. I made a simple mobile stand out of 2X4's half lapped at the corners with swivel casters. Drilled recessed holes for the adjustable feet to sit in. Cheap and functional.

Mike

2 years with my Ridgid jointer

Hi Alain

I have the Ridgid jointer. I purhased it two years ago when we did our kitchen remodel. Completed that and a set of cabinets for my shop. It has worked very good for me. Mine is in a basement shop with no outside way in so I could only get a smaller machine.

Have had no issues that would need service so I cannot help you with that. Adjustment was easy once it was setup have had no trouble with it moving. About time for me to sharpen the knifes thats about it.

Dwayne Hunt
    Hiding in the shop!

I just bought that very jointer last week, Alain!

Two weeks prior I had visited the Deep Homo to look at it (I was finishing some window panels I was building, and I wanted a jointer to complete the assembly) but didn't know the price... I couldn't afford the 399.00, so I went home with a bosch electric planer instead...

Anyways, I returned to the store two weeks later, and found that they were selling the display model for 269 as a reconditioned unit, and snatched it right up!

When I got it home, I completely disassembled it, to make sure the assembly was nice and tight. I had it completely stripped down and rebuilt in about 3 hours total.

I find it very easy to calibrate, and a pleasure to use in general. It's very quiet, has a nice heavy cast body that i can just barely carry around myself. I've not had a lot of experience with it, as it's only been in my shop for about a week. But so far I don't have any complaints at all. I've already used it to square up enough wood to build 7 mahogany window frames, and it's worked well.

Jointers are pretty basic machines, so as long as it's set up true, the Ridgid should give you good service. That's the key to any jointer...proper setup and practice. A lot of folks have the Ridgid 6" jointer and I don't recall comlaints. (Even knowing I suffer from CRS disease...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with all the other comments on the Ridgid, but just wanted to point out that one plus with the Ridgid is that you can pick it up locally and some jointers, like Grizzly require shipping costs to get it to your home. Sears is another option in regards to shipping.

The Ridgid is a proven workhorse for a 6" jointer, but not sure why you would think that 8" would be bliss...a 24" jointer would be bliss!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

I have had my Ridgid Joiner since Christmas last year. I love it. I agree that it takes some practice, but it seems to be a well built and easy to use. I haven't used it real extensively, but when I have it has stayed true and held adjustment. I really do like the crank vs lever adjustment for the depth of cut. I think it allows for easier dialing in of the cut.

Just my .02 worth.

I bought the Ridgid last spring and have used it heavily since then. I have no complaints whatsoever. In the town where I live, the Lowes and Home Depot stores are almost next to each other. I compared the Ridgid with the similarly priced Delta from Lowes at almost the same time and concluded that the Ridgid was a much better built machine. I would encourage you to do the same. I went to Sears the other day looking at bandsaws and noticed that the Craftsman jointer looked pretty good too.

A co-worker of mine is happy with his Ridgid jointer. With gift cards burning a hole in your pocket, I think you have all the justification you need.

BTW, I have the Ridgid TS3650 table saw and have been very happy with it, if that's any indication of their jointer.

I'll jump in with everybody else. I've had mine for almost a year, and it's served me very well. Very east to adjust, and stays adjusted.

I've got it and am very happy with it. It scored well with FWW a few years back and is easily available. Lifetime warranty too. The instruction manual and hardware pack are second to none.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thank you very much guys for all the feedbacks and advises!

You're all confirming what I was suspecting from the beginning. So...Ridgid it will be then.

I can't wait to work with square timbers again
    AT

Knowledge is to know tomatoes are fruits.
    Wisdom is to know not to put any in a fruit salad.