Thread: My Festool Score plus a something else special (Very Long)

Thumbs up My Festool Score plus A BIG GLOAT

My last minute Festool order on the 20% off new customer sale arrived last week. Yipppee, I got the package CT22 vac, saw and railguide. I also got the 150/3 sander, a systainer for the sander paper and a few hundred sheets of paper, the router, and the CDD drill, with both chucks (right angle, and offset). Total was OUCH about $1700. I was on the phone with Bob throughout the night figuring out exactly what I was going to order. Gotta tell you Bob is the most usefull and friendly tool salesman I have worked with (Eric with Minimax is a very close second, but since I have yet to buy that bandsaw Bob wins). And Christian was lots of help on this one too.

A few days after its arrival I was rising the floor in my family room (it had a 4' x 4') entrance that was just bigger than the door swing. The plan was to rip out the door raise the floor and put the door back. I also had some doors that needed the bottom cut off since we had new carpet put in other rooms.

So it was a great time to try out all the tools (though I never came up with a use for the router on this job).

LOVE the saw and rail guide system. Cutting the doors down, piece of cake, the plywood subfloor had to be cut down from its 4x8 sheet. The rail system worked great for that, and I never once thought gee this is not very safe (a somewhat often thought when I use to cut sheets on the table saw. The floor was mateing up to the existing floor, the existing was not perfectly square, so i needed some tappers on the panel I was putting down. Make 2 marks put down the rail, and cut, Perfect. The only negative is the first few cuts on the rail the black edging goes everywhere after that the vac gets all the dust. (of coarse I also found an instruction sheet laying around when I was cleaning up that said to cut the rail with a 1 speed I had it on 6 so that might have caused the problem). And that leads to the one negative on this setup The instructions are very bad. It appears they are trying to fix it with these individual sheets but then there are extra sheets for safety, and in the end its just not very good, one bad manual and lots of loose sheets of paper that you dont have time to read. It took me some time to figure out how to open the vac, and then I found my vac hose.

The systainers are great and help Festool on shipping cause everything is the same dimensions. One improvement on the sand paper systainer would be some way to mark or indicate (stickers in with the paper) what grit the paper was for each slot.

Used the sander to get the added floor joists to line up. Just sat in the door, with the vac and sander running over the board, my wife said I looked like I was on break and petting my dog. It really was really nice. Of coarse the first thing I tried was sanding the floor down, but there was glue on it and the sander was bouncing all over and not running good. Turned it off and looked the paper was one big mess of floor glue. (oops my bad). (yes Bob the Rotex would have worked faster but even the 150 /3 got the job done).

The one disappointment was the CDD the drill. This was an addtional bonus purchase for me cause some other planed purchases had fallen through. I really liked the two additonal chucks so I went for it. The drill really is great like everything else very solid and feels like it will go forever, but it just does not fit my hand well. I did get a chance this week to try out the TDD (the more traditional design), it fit nicely. I am trying to decide if I return the CDD or exchange it for the TDD.
    Will let you know what I think of the router when I get the chance to use it.

Know the bonus. I have been looking at buying a classic convertible but had not found what I wanted so the plan was get the tools to use on several projects this winter, then look for the car in the spring. So what happens 1 week after the tools arrive. I find and buy whats in the pics below. So no Jorge fest for me, and why I may just wait on the drill untill festool can get the grip a bit smaller on the CDD.

Broke but with a HUGE smile

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Hammelef; 10-18-2003 at 9:33 PM.

extremely cool!

Oh WOW. Is that a 64 Corvair?!? My uncle had one of these years ago. It was a BLAST to ride in.

A worthy gloat if there ever was one,

b

Unsafe at any speed but an absolute blast to drive regardless. And with original paint even!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    Oh WOW. Is that a 64 Corvair?!? My uncle had one of these years ago. It was a BLAST to ride in.
    My father had at least two of them when I was young...we actually took a couple of trips to Florida in those Corvairs!...two adults and two kids and that was before I-95 was "for real"!

Dave, congrats on both the tools and the car! Sometimes ya just step in it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave,

How do you like the sandpaper systainer? Which size did you get? How much does it hold? Thanks. Dave.

A long time to get to the gloat

Dave -

Man, you sure took a long time to get to the REAL gloat. Snuck that one in at the end. Congrats!

Ted

<skips over stuff about power tools>

Wow!!! What a beautiful Corvair! Congratulations!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery
    Dave,

How do you like the sandpaper systainer? Which size did you get? How much does it hold? Thanks. Dave.
    Well, Im not at home right now and forgot to check last night it is the sys-stf d150. It is a systainer 3 size about 8" high. It has 2 columns and each column has 4 (I think) scooped out area that each hold about 100 sheets ( I think though it might be 50, I will check tonight). The big problem is you have theses groups of sandpaper standing on edge when you look in and no markings as to what the grits are. I will probably just mark some masking tape and stick that in. With the systainer system its nice just put the paper container beneath the sander one, and its grab and go.

Used the cordless drill CDD somemore this weekend and think its going back, just not comfortable enough. But man after looking it over the chucks have a quick release to switch them that is very nice. Again I just wish they could make the handle a bit smaller, and the drill a bit lighter. Maybe go to a lower voltage system.

Just got word from the trucking company on the car they wont be picking up till next week. AAAARRRRRGGGG.

Here are 3 pics of the festool stuff. 1st one is the Saw and Vac. The 2nd one is the sander and paper systainer stack. and the third is the inside of the paper systainer. Each area holds 50 sheets for a total of 400 sheets.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pictures of the paper systainer, Dave.