Thread: dc remote/garage door

dc remote/garage door

I asked this question in the the Oneida post and figured I'd move it on over. Is it merely a coincidence that after using a remote (first time) control on my new dust collector that my garage door doesn't open - punch in the code on the keypad and nothing happens?
    Bob
    bob m

Have you tired putting new batteries in your garage remote?

I seriously doubt it is anything but coincidence.

Bob,

When you say you are using a keypad, that suggests you are operating a hardwired coded switch to actuate the garage door. If this is so, it would rule out any interference with the remote control circuitry of the garage door by your dust collector remote. Did you do any wiring to provide power for your new dust collector? I know the DC requires 240v, but possibly the breaker for the garage door got inadvertently switched off during the install. If you have not already checked this, you might want to start by checking the circuit breaker. If this is OK, make sure you have power to the outlet that the garage door motor plugs into. Providing that has power, make sure there is continuity on the wires between the keypad and the garage door opener. If all this is OK, this would leave the switch and the motor assembly as suspects. I would first eliminate the switch by substituition because it is easiest.

One more thing you might try up front after you are sure there is power to the motor is try removing power to the motor for a minute or so and reapplying. There could be a circuit card needing to be reset.

Good luck!!

Jerry

If new batteries in the garage remote don't do the trick, I suggest that you try unplugging the receiver of your dust collection control. Sometimes these inexpensive receivers are designed with a super-regenerative architecture, which can radiate a small amount of RF "noise". This noise can desensitize any nearby radios (like your garage door opener.)

That's probably a better problem than having the garage door open and close everytime you turn the DC on and off!
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

Well, thanks for the replies....um, a. .....seems a new battery was the cure.
    Bob
    bob m

Way to go, Bob......the easiest fix.

This is kinda a corollary of the old troubleshooting question, "Is it plugged in?"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    This is kinda a corollary of the old troubleshooting question, "Is it plugged in?"
    Yeah, pretty dumb, but happened after just using the dc remote once.

Bob
    bob m

Don't feel bad Bob...I needed to get something out of the trunk so I thought I'd back into my side of the garage...pushed the remote and the other door opened. Got out...used the pad...it worked so I couldn't understand what was going on...until I went to get into...DRLOML's car! It was so dumb...I had to tell her...who is the absent minded professor.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I don't kinow Bob, don't be so sure. I knew that new dust collector would be a problem... maybe I oughtta just come by and pick it up. Nip this thing in the bud.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Bob,

It's Ok, the way I see it the problem can be blamed on October.

Just yesterday in the shop, a bank of 5 ,100 watt high hats seemed

to go dead all at once. I say seemed, because I didn't actually see

them go out. I actually had the sheet rock saw and electrical

pouch in my hand before I thought to check the bulbs.

Whoever heard of 5 bulbs burning out in the same time frame? Not I.

But that is exactly what happened.

Only in October. I think it is the origin of the phrase the October

surprise.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I am a retired Bell Head (telephone guy) and years ago I installed some equipment on a pole across the street from a house out in the country. Shortly thereafter, we got a call from the nice gentleman saying that his garage door was going up and down at all kinds of strange times and was it our fault? Some research showed that one of the analog channels of the system was the same as the frequency as his door opener. The fix-buy him a new digital door opener. My boss was skeptical, but it worked. By the same token, I can't use my laptop on line and the cordless phone at my desk at the same time because they interfere as well as the microwave and the phone. There is an old saying: There are two things they aren't making any more of - real estate and bandwidth. It is going to be a bigger problem in the future as we more to more and more wireless devices.

CPeter