Thread: Stain matching Maple to Oak

Stain matching Maple to Oak

Hi:

Been doing a "LITTLE" kitchen remodeling the past 2 days!! Got the electric all done and most of the cabinets in. We rearranged some of the appliances and when we put them where we wanted them, I found out there was some extra space available to put in a corner cabinet and a cabinet to fit next to the refridgerator. Here is the problem: The cabinets that we put in are a dark Medditerrainian(SP?) type of stained Oak cabinets. The only wood that I have left to use is either Cherry or Maple. So, what I want to do, is use the Maple (because I have a lot of it!! ) but, how do I match the stain to the stain that is on the Oak?

The local hardware store has 2 different brands of stain . Miniwax and Varithan. If I remember correctly, the varithan has more of a color selection.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Bob Weisner; 10-07-2006 at 5:16 PM.

The primary advise I would give is to go out and buy some oak. Or better yet, buy the same brand and color of cabinets that you installed to begin with. It is very hard to match commercial finishes, and almost impossible to do with the wrong wood. Then you would have a chance to get close to the appearance of the commercial cabinets. Kitchens are too important a part of a home's decor to take big shortcuts.

To get a relatively dark finish on hardwoods you will need to begin with a dye. Pigmented stains just won't get the wood dark unless you "paint" it on. There is no way to say--just get this color dye or stain. You will need to buy two or three colors that you think may be right and then test them on samples of the exact same kind of wood you are trying to finish. Be sure to apply a top coat on the samples since that will change the appearance significantly--especially with dye.

I'm with Steve...get some oak. Oak is generally inexpensive, too, in the universe of things. While you "may" be able to eventually match the tone/color, you will never make maple look anything like oak. Not gonna happen...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...