Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Designing an Entertainment Center

Dear woodworkers,
    It has been my purpose to share with you some insights into the designing of an entertainment center. There is much more to discuss but the general discussion would turn specific as the basics for designing the form has been covered, I think.
    I do the designing of these things alot and then the building of these things that I have designed and then the installing, sometimes the painting too as I have had too many nice pieces messed up by a bad painter . Like Marty Walsh I hate to leave something for another person to do. Someone who doesn't care as much about my project as I do. The projects I do are mine and for me,... until the client pays for it in full. Any Questions?
    Woodworking by Shaz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wiring Considerations during the Design Process

Robert: this has been an absolute gem of a series, especially for someone like me who is trying to design either a ground up system, but preferably, a "modification" to an existing entertainment wall system. What I mean by a "modification" is finding the best way to accommodate a wider screen tv in the space taken by a cabinet (central armoire) that is limited to 36" width. I plan to share some specific ideas in Sketchup form when I get them finalized and worthy of posting.

For now, however, I wonder if you could comment about the whole area of designing for ease of wiring and component hookup. I started a similar thread over in the general area, but it seems your comments (and ideas from others) here would round out this design principles discussion.

Short of the ideal to put the entertainment center against a wall which has access from the back, how do you do it if your entertainment center is going to be placed so that front access only is possible? I am especially interested in the aspect of component hookup (slide out drawers, wide enough to rotate components 90 degrees while still hooked up, etc).

Can you please comment on how you have handled this aspect of entertainment center design and execution.

Thanks for sharing your expertise,

Ken

Hi Ken, Thanks for your kind words and for following this thread.
    In designing these pieces I have been involved with several different Media sales and installation companies. Since they are responsible for the audio and video stuff, I rely on their expertise and try to accomodate them during design/build. Three ways of working the component wiring seem to be the consensus for ease of wiring and hook up.
    # 1 In a fixed cabinet set against the wall, can you cut through the wall into a closet to allow rear access.
    # 2 Add wheels, non swivel (for stability) and cover with a skirt. ( good for armoires)
    # 3 research the metal rack system that attaches to the top and bottom of the cavity and allows shelves( part of this system) to be pulled out and swiveled.
    Building individual pull out drawers upon which the components would swivel are not the best option, in my opinion. Good luck.
    Shaz

Great work! I was wondering when you said you build them--do you outsource your doors? And what paint are you using and I assume you are spraying?
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Marion

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Rood
    Great work! I was wondering when you said you build them--do you outsource your doors? And what paint are you using and I assume you are spraying?
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Marion
    Hi Marion, thank you for the compliment. I most often build the whole thing. Sometimes by myself.
    #1 Doors-
    A. I will sometimes out source doors if they are paint grade raised panel. I have lost interest in the raised panel door as we know them.
    B.Any of the doors that have cloth I build and then stretch the cloth.
    C. Many times I have to match existing molding, these I make myself.
    #2 Finish-
    A. I try to avoid the finish side of a job, meaning the sand and fill, paint or stain but sometimes take it on if I need to or if it seems like fun or a challenge.
    B. I have used alkyd and polyurethane, but most of the time I shoot lacquer because of the dry time.
    C. Most of my larger pieces get done by painters who have all the little hands to help. Some of these jobs get rather large.
    I was just called back to modify a high gloss black lacquer entertainment center I had built in 1998 and painted. It was about 9' tall and 16' wide. That was the exception for me and large pieces.
    Shaz