Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Designing an Entertainment Center

multi purpose room

Jim,
    First think about what you and yours will do in that room. Why would that room be an asset to your family. Is it for tuesday nite poker, book club meetings, family board games, sleep overs, pool hall/ football rally place, Wednesday nite bible study or to chill out and relax, watch movies uninterrupted. Do you need a powder room, popcorn or sink and refridgerator?

Here is one that the client wanted speakers left and right of the tv and display on top, thus deepening the front to back measurement of the center unit. They liked the idea of the receding back and stepping down from the center... as center is highest and farthest from the walls and evident in this photo. Several door cavities for a steering wheel to certain games and other larger items for storage, drawers for dvd's and vhs tapes, cd and games for x-box and nintendo,etc are placed below the tv.. Large drawers for blanket and pillow storage are left and right in this symmetrical unit. See that the plasma backing is forward of the actual stud wall. Display areas are personal and can be restful. That is a good thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL! One or two of those things, Robert...but most of them will never make the list. Here's the first floor layout that includes the multi-purpose room...note that the windows are not shown accurately and any EC would be centered on the wall "closest" to you. The "Closet" off the side of that room (not the coat closet near the bath) has also been turned into a wet bar in the most current design.

And an early rendering...again, windows are not correct, etc.

BTW, that's an awesome looking unit in post #17.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    post # 17 is 14' 4" with a nine foot ceiling, I can see it now, use part of the guest closet for the components 3' up to 6' and on the guest bedroom side of that wall, drawers below for the guests. You have a good start. It would look a little like this below.

Well, part of that closet is already being sacrificed as a chase for HVAC in the most current plans, but I'm sure I'll come up with something to deal with the need!
    --

Jim,
    Your plans look developed. It will all be exciting for you I hope. Good luck.
    Shaz

Yes. Now all I need it time. Lots of time...oy!
    --

Straight front inset

In some instances the entertainment center may be situated in a closet space or designated recessed area therefore affording the opportunity to do a flat front with all the trim and fu fu on the same plane. This situation may occur either side of the fire place, an existing recessed area or removing a wall to expose a closet space, which works well as it allows rear access to the components.
    Here is an example of an existing entertainment center set into a pre existing hole.

They asked me for some ideas and some help designing and building a new entertainment center in the existing space.

The client wanted a flat screen, components they could access while standing, organization for storing audio visual stuff, some display areas with lighting, scratch lighting at last minute, speakers left right and center with sub woofer in another cabinet. Symmetry was in the plan and drawer cost was not an issue. Matching exising cabinetry in the same proximity ... that is going to stay (related to your new piece) is important. So after some drawing and some decisions this is what they got. They were pleased.

Considering as many options as we can within the boundaries placed on us by the physical measurements of the equipment we want to incorporate into our entertainment center, we can start thinking about the basic shape of the Ent.C. Do we want it to go all the way to the ceiling, all the way across, left to right or do we like the look of a lower side left or right of center, or both? Here are several photos of the staight top

And one more. I hope.

Nope, didn't work.
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 11-11-2006 at 7:54 PM.

Flat top also on Post # 12.
    Shaz

The other option to a flat roof line is to drop it left and or right or both. See post # 17 where I step down from center left and right and then again to another level.

In this new photo we stepped down on one side only.

The audio and visual components with their fixed dimensions determine minimum sizes for the cabinets, duh, but from there if you have the space to grow it you can add flutes, columns, all sorts of decorative fu fu. Height is not usually a problem, it is the width.
    Shaz

Consider what we have covered thus far. I don't remember , I was just asking you to consider it. We did get to the design of the top, it being either flat or stepped down. It can be symetrical or asymetrical. There are many variations on this theme but it is a place for you to begin.
    Moving on we can consider the projection from the wall. There are many options but we must first start with the basic fixed dimensions of the tv and the placement of the components as they are not going to change in size compared to the depth of drawers and other variables.
    Some options I have used have been...
    #1- three vertical rectangles,
    the center- housing the tv, center speaker above and drawers behind doors below, projection about 28".
    left and right, speakers each side, components one side behind door. storage opposite side behind door with doors below. projection about 24"
    #2- two horizontal rectangles,
    lower unit 26" deep for components, drawer storage of CD's DVD'S CD'C ,sub woofer, games etc.
    upper unit set down on top of lower unit, 17" projection, tv, speakers, display of books and works of art.
    Shaz

With these things considered, the vertical and the depth let us consider some of our possibilities, kinda like chromosomes, xx xy yx yy.I am posting a picture of drawings made with the cursor which may help understand some options. #1 flat top with flat front, #2 flat top with projected center section, #3 flat top with projected base cabinets.
    Row two #1 Step down left and right and step back from center section, #2 Step down left and right with a flat front, #3 Step down left and right of center section and step back left and right in the upper unit with an even greater projection of the base cabinet.
    Shaz