Thread: Gloat

Gloat

Over the last year I have told my wife how much I would love to attend a wooworking class by a real master. Two weeks ago I got my chance. I had signed up for a one week class at Lonnie Bird's school of fine woodworking. Lonnie speacializes in 18th century period funiture which is embelished with carvings. So, for one week me and eight other students got some great instuction on 18th century wood carving and shaping. Lonnie is a great teacher as well as a real master in his craft. I thought I would include a few pictures of my work from the week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you're on the way

to doing some fine work John. Keep up the excellent work. Steve

Wow! That must have been an awesome class experience...the work you did is really great. I especially like the carved spindle and the work on the legs. Neat!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is really nice stuff John! Looks like it was time well spent, for sure. Carving always did catch my eye, and I'll bet it is just as addictive as Turning. Great work! Thanks for letting us see your accomplishments...............VERY COOL!

Fine Work

Very impressive work, John. Now tell us, did you learn all that carving in one week, or had you been playing with carving prior to the class. If you got it in one week, you are a "quick study" and the teacher is outstanding.

One last question, did you do the carving with power tools, or just chisels, rasps, etc?
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Very impressive work, John. Now tell us, did you learn all that carving in one week, or had you been playing with carving prior to the class. If you got it in one week, you are a "quick study" and the teacher is outstanding.

One last question, did you do the carving with power tools, or just chisels, rasps, etc?
    Ken,

This is the first carving I have done. I had never even put a carving tool to wood until the class. I would like to think that I am a quick study but the truth is I think it had more to do with the teacher. All the carving was done with hand tools, no power carving. The pieces still need to be cleaned up with rifflers but the ideal was to take home a good model that you could work from and better develop the skill.

John

Thumbs up

I LOVE the lamp base!

John, I do believe you have a talent for this carving stuff.

It is all the more impressive, being a first time out....
    Best Regards, Ken

Question for John

I am envious. I've been trying to do some self-teaching - especially on shells and ball and claws, but they are not as good as yours. When you say cleaned up with rifflers, I am confused. The rifflers I have are pretty coarse and are useful only for removing pretty large quantities of wood. Are the fine rifflers fine enough for a final finish or do they need sanding. If so, at what grit would you start sanding? Great work. Carl
    18th century nut --- Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    When you say cleaned up with rifflers, I am confused. The rifflers I have are pretty coarse and are useful only for removing pretty large quantities of wood. Are the fine rifflers fine enough for a final finish or do they need sanding. If so, at what grit would you start sanding? Great work. Carl
    Carl,

I didn't take a set of rifflers with me to the class, I think Lonnie had left it off the tool list. However, the people that did where using both course and fine rifflers. We where told to make our cuts as clean as possible to try and reduce clean up and sanding. If your tools are cutting cleanly they sould be leaving the wood fairly smooth in need of little to no clean up. What needs to be cleaned up on the leg is mostly the area betwwen the claws and the ball could be a little smoother. Only sand after you are finished carving and have smothed the wood with rasp, scrapers and files as it will leave grit in the wood that will dull your tools. Last, Lonnie told us to sand lightly with 180 or higher and warned that you can quickly remove the details of the carving with sanding, be careful not to take the crispness off the lines.

I have been working on a workbench for the last few weeks that I am trying to finish up. Once done I intend to do a couple more practice pieces to reinforce what I learned and then try some pieces on real funiture.

If this doesn't answer you qestions email me and I will try to give more detail or we can talk on the phone. I find it easier to talk than to type.

Great stuff John!

A college buddy and I started hanging out at a carving club that meets every Tuesday night here in Albuquerque. So far we're just learning basics and carving Christmas ornaments for the children's hospital.

I've always wanted to learn relief and chip carving to add some personal touches to my larger pieces. Looks like you just took a quantum leap in enhancing your woodworking! Must have been great to work with such an amazing and resepcted teacher.

Pete

Great present

John -

What a wonderful present! From the results, it looks as if you came away from the class enriched.

Looking forward to more pictures.

Ted