Thread: "summarily"

"summarily"

Can someone please find this in a dictionary for me please? I'm pretty well confused since I don't speak 3rd grade redneck.

Bud,
    There are a few references online - here's one:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=summarily

It does sound like slang, but I think I have heard it used in legal contexts.

Wes

What Wes said.

But I don't think it's a word you would normally encounter at the 3rd-grade level, redneck or otherwise.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

From the looks of the content of that link, the word "summarily" was used out of context, severals time it seems.

Looks like "similarly" would have been a more appropriate choice.

Anyone agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Zysk
    From the looks of the content of that link, the word "summarily" was used out of context, severals time it seems.

Looks like "similarly" would have been a more appropriate choice.

Anyone agree?
    It's certainly possible, but without having a clue which posts you're talking about, it's pretty hard to have an opinion one way or the other.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

A followup: I just did a search and found a total of 11 threads where that word appeared. In one instance, it probably wasn't quite the right word, but it got the point across. Almost all of the other uses were by Ken Salisbury: in all cases he uses the word correctly...way too often IMHO, but correctly.

Summarily (or is it similarly?) to Les's response - what context was it used in?
    Use the fence Luke

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Can someone please find this in a dictionary for me please? I'm pretty well confused since I don't speak 3rd grade redneck.

"To act in a summary manner"From Websters:

2 a : done without delay or formality : quickly executed <a summary dismissal> b : of, relating to, or using a summary proceeding <a summary trial>
    synonym see CONCISE
    - sum·mar·i·ly /(")s&-'mer-&-lE/ adverb

To further educate you on the word look here: http://www.onelook.com/?loc=pub&w=summarily

It is a word I learned while studying for my MBA. I won't comment on your "redneck" slur but the same definition is in the 3rd grade redneck version of Websters .
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-08-2006 at 10:16 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

wordplay

“Summarily”, is a compound word that has evolved since the time and place of the cradle of civilization (oxymoron, I know). The root words are “Sumer” and “merrily”, or perhaps “Sumerian” and “merrily”, … but anyhow, something like that.

The Gilgameshians continually suggest that the “…marily” portion of the word is based on the institution of marriage and the King’s right (or rite), and accuse scribes through history of being too PC and weak-kneed to give the King his dew. While that debate may still be coming to a head, some soothsayers suggest the Gilgameshian’s efforts are in their last throes, and that they will go the way of the dinosaurs.

From my somewhat immodest research, “summarily”, refers to the birthright of each Sumerian to experience joy and happiness everyday.

How this word has come to be used in the phrase “…he was summarily executed.”. is beyond me.

Frank

Perhaps you should so you can improve you vocabulary.

I didn't realize they speak 3rd grade redneck in the Philippines

“The summary execution was summarily performed.”

Does this speak clearly enough of third grade redneck problem solving abilities?

Frank

You guys have provided a good summary
    You are all now sumarily dismissed!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    “Summarily”, is a compound word that has evolved since the time and place of the cradle of civilization (oxymoron, I know). The root words are “Sumer” and “merrily”, or perhaps “Sumerian” and “merrily”, … but anyhow, something like that.

<<snip>>

How this word has come to be used in the phrase “…he was summarily executed.”. is beyond me.

Frank
    Say Frank, do you give out hip boots with your definitions?
    Best Regards, Ken