Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Computers/webcams in woodshops?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    Al,
    I'm using the "Airlink" Powerline Internet Adapter" right now as I type this. I picked up a pair of them from Frye's Electronics for for $23.74 ea. They work great, as long as your both are plugged into the same electrical service.
    What's the range on those, Don?

Laurie,
    There is no limit since they use the existince the 110V wiring. The only limitation is that they won't work if your not on the same electrical service.

... There is no limit since they use the existince the 110V wiring. The only limitation is that they won't work if your not on the same electrical service.
    Don,

I believe by "same electrical service" you mean that it is essential to have electrical circuit continuity.

In my case, I have 400 amps coming into the shop, as it is closest to the power line. From the shop I split 200 amps for the shop itself, and 200 amps go to the house, 200 feet away.

As I understand it, the entire electrical service HAS continuity. Is my assumption correct?

Al

That sounds like a great alternative to wireless when range is a factor. I've heard of this, but never seen it in use myself. Hmm... webcam in the toolshed? The barn? Hmm...

Al,
    That is correct. It won't work if there is a transformer between the two units. I have one unit in the house upstairs and the other is in a garage shop. Both circuits are fed from a 250 Amp service from seperate breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown
    Wow! That's a nice shop AND a nice cam! What kind of cam and software are you using to run that? I can pan it around and everything!
    The cam is a Panasonic Network Camera. All of the software/web page/etc is in the camera. You just plug an ethernet cable into the side of it and it's ready to go.

They make several models and I'm not sure which I have but can look it up if you are interested. It's one of the following KX-HCM8, KX-HCM10, KX-HCM250, or KX-HCM270

I counted FOUR bandsaws!
    You are correct there are 4 bandsaws. An 18" and three 14".

The shop is a community shop. I rent out time in the shop to others, hence the large number of bandsaws, tablesaws, etc. Lots of fun toys.

That sounds like a great alternative to wireless when range is a factor. I've heard of this, but never seen it in use myself. Hmm... webcam in the toolshed? The barn? Hmm...
    That is exactly why I have not even tried wireless, Laurie. Just too far to the shop from the closest part of the house. And it is another 90 feet to the room where the computers are located. So, total distance is really more like 200 feet to the shop.

Al

Al,
    That is correct. It won't work if there is a transformer between the two units. I have one unit in the house upstairs and the other is in a garage shop. Both circuits are fed from a 250 Amp service from seperate breakers.
    Thanks, Don!

I just wanted to make sure. There is no transformer anywhere between the shop and the house, so it should be OK. I must try it.

I searched at Fry's online, and the lowest price I found for the pair of adapters was $200, which is quite a bit higher than what you reported earlier. So, I will keep looking for a better price. But even the $200 is cheaper than getting a whole new DirecTV installation just for the shop. We have no cable in this area, although it may arrive sometime in the next five years.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Colvin
    You are correct there are 4 bandsaws. An 18" and three 14".

The shop is a community shop. I rent out time in the shop to others, hence the large number of bandsaws, tablesaws, etc. Lots of fun toys.
    Wow! I wondered if your shop was part of a school or commercial business. It's HUGE and full of lots of NICE tools! I've been drooling for two days watching. Wish I could come play there!

Same electrical service means no power transformer between the two points. The signal is much to high a frequency to pass across a power transformer designed for 60 cycle.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project