Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I ?

Can I ?

Can I / should I joint the edge of more than 1 (1/2") wide board at the same time safely.
    I am using a 6" jointer and have about 20 7" squares that I would like (need) to joint for boxes for gifts.
    Lori K

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

jointing

Hey Lori,
    I'm guessing that the boards are already face jointed and you are edge jointing to get a square corner....

In that case, it would probably be safe, but not very accurate.

Next thing, and you probably won't want to hear this... is that 1/2 stock isn't very stable and it probably won't stay square long. I would only mill as much as I planned to join in the next day or so. If you mill a big batch and leave it sitting in the shop, I suspect it will not be square for long - even in dry Tucson .

Good luck!
    Jess

Blog Entries
    Not sure I'm getting the question Lori. If you mean can you joint a surface wider than 1/2", definitely. I routinely joint 4 - 5" wide boards as part of my squaring efforts. If your asking; can you stack three or four 1/2" thick panels and joint them at the same time I would say . . . not safely. Even if I clamped three 1/2" by 4" x 24" boards together to run them through on edge simultaneously, I would expect poor results. Bear in mind that I really need to substitute the technocal aspect to make up for my natural lack of ability. Others more skilled may have different opinions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg
    Can I / should I joint the edge of more than 1 (1/2") wide board at the same time safely.
    I am using a 6" jointer and have about 20 7" squares that I would like (need) to joint for boxes for gifts.
    I do it all the time with a hand plane (old Stanley No 8), it's VERY safe, AFAICT! The blade is only 2 5/8" wide though, so there is a limitation on the number of boards one does at the same time. Clamp 'em good so they don't move. I did 3 pine boards once as a test, but would probably tend to stick to 2. With 2 you have the advantage of getting a complimentary edge to glue up with each other.

I'm sure some do it on a power jointer, but I don't. The reason I don't is that too many things could distract me, like the boards sliding, or similar, that could cause me to loose concentration on what I want to focus on, the cutting edge and the wood, and keeping my hands away from there.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Thanks all. I will stick to one at a time. I was thinking maybe
    I should move the fence in and out to even wear? It seems
    I am alsways using just the back edge.
    Lori K

Lori,

it is great that you are asking but because you are asking if something is safe, you pretty much answered it yourself. Anytime I am working and I question the safety of what I am about to do, I rethink it and find another way. If I do proceed it is because I added safety to what I was doing. I guess that counts for "another way."

Trying to rush or expedite is one of the top reasons why people get hurt. I am not saying being efficient is wrong, just be safe out there.

Regards,
    Jeff
    There are three types of people in this world: those who want things to happen, those who make things happen and those who just wonder what the heck happened.

Blog Entries
    move the fence in and out to even wear? It seems
    I don't know if its logical but I do that. If nothing else it makes me feel like I'm sharing the wear on the knives.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks all. I will stick to one at a time. I was thinking maybe
    I should move the fence in and out to even wear? It seems
    That would be a good idea as well Lori.

Corey

7" long pieces? Be careful

Can you?

Yes you can.

1/4 mdf for illustration purpose's.

Per
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

When I have to edge join thin boards I'll often lean the fence over and run the boards through to get a wider mating glueable surface. Only works if the boards are very well secured to one another. And there's an orientation trick to this as well.
    Only the Blue Roads

I agree with Jim. 7" is shorter than what I would want to run on my power jointer.

Lori,

Are these already cut to 7" long? If not, run the longer boards through first then cut them. A jointer really operates from contact with the outfeed table more than anything for it's accuracy. You would have little contact there before the cut was complete. I would expect a less than truly straight cut much of the time, if I did that. A bit of error in feeding would be exagerated.

David

I agree with 7" being a bit short. I never had a scare with my jointer until
    the time I tried running a small piece through. WOW ! the kick-back
    was very scary, I will never try that again.

Howie

Don't even think about it.

If you make a good template, square and to size you can safely use your router table and a pattern bit to do the planing.

But if I'm concerned about the safety of something with these tools then I just don't do it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 10-12-2006 at 7:36 AM.