Thread: Jointer Snipe?

Jointer Snipe?

I noticed my jointer has started to snipe a bit and I've forgotten how to fix it (outfeed table up, down??). I haven't moved my outfeed table since I replaced the blades six months ago and only moved the infeed table once about 1/32 of an inch. Thanks for the help.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    I noticed my jointer has started to snipe a bit and I've forgotten how to fix it (outfeed table up, down??). I haven't moved my outfeed table since I replaced the blades six months ago and only moved the infeed table once about 1/32 of an inch. Thanks for the help.
    Raise the outer edge of the outfeed table just a fraction and support the piece being worked from pivoting on that outer edge. See if that resolves the problem. All thicknessers snipe a bit, in my experience, but slight lift on the leading edge of the piece and proper support seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    If your talking about a jointer not a planer then the outfeed table is to low.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Bump the outfeed table up just a bit. It may take some fiddling to get it right. Use a piece of something as long (or longer) as you normally work with to make test cuts as you go. Be patient.

We had no trouble at all with an 8" Grizzly for maybe three years, now all you have to do is look at it wrong and the table moves.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    Bump the outfeed table up just a bit. It may take some fiddling to get it right. Use a piece of something as long (or longer) as you normally work with to make test cuts as you go. Be patient.

We had no trouble at all with an 8" Grizzly for maybe three years, now all you have to do is look at it wrong and the table moves.

KC
    KC,

That's what this is--an 8" Grizzly almost 3 years old. I haven't moved the outfeed table since I got it. I just adjust the knives to the outfeed table when I replace them. I'll give it a try this afternon and see what happens.
    Dennis