Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few mesquite tables *pics*

A few mesquite tables *pics*

I finished up what I'm carrying to the mesquite show this afternoon. A whole day early!

First is a pair of round occasional tables. Something around 24" tall (I can't remember and forgot to measure). Top is around 22". The cross thingies at the bottom are 'slotted', and the through tenons are real. I pinned the tenon with a dowel, then put ebony plugs on both sides of the legs. The top is attached through the corbels. I didn't want to have anything between the legs at the top...next time I'll rethink that. I'm 'not quite pleased' enough with these that I quite working on the matching coffee table, which is all cut and ready for assembly, save the top.

This plant table (or whatever) is 18" square and 31" tall. The spindles are highly figured maple. Nothin' special really.

My 'main' piece this year is a sofa table/writing desk. The spindles on this are pecan. Top has the curved ends/endcaps...something you can get away with using mesquite. Base on this is 37" wide, the top is 18" by around 42". 30" high. The legs and top have veeerrrry nice figure. Had I known it was this nice, I wouldn't have used it because the whole piece should've been that way. LOML says it doesn't matter, because she wants this one to keep if nobody else takes it.

[IMG]

Finish on everything is WATCO natural, topped with Sherwin Williams dull-rubbed-effect pre-cat lacquer. Thanks for looking.

WOW....they look great! Nice work. Wow...ok I'll stop now.

I'll second those "WOW's"........!!!

Great work KC...yes the figure in the last piece is awesome......

Wow, they're beautiful! I love them all, especially the writing table.

Well done KC.

Larry

I love 'em. Very nice work!
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

KC once again you have sown us some great work with Mesquite. I've been thinking of making another Maloof Pedistal table and after seeing your work I might do it with Mesquite. MY Hardwood suplier quited me 8.75 for kiln dried Mequite, how does that price compare to you supplier ? They would would be custom milled to any thickness I want soo I would be buying about 30 bd ft some 8/4 and some 6/4
    Last edited by Don Baer; 10-10-2006 at 6:25 PM.

Hi Kirk,
    Very nice stuff!! I'm sure you will do well at the show.(I do recall you mentioning the Mesquite show). Have you ben harvesting your own stock?? Congrats, good luck, JCB.

Beautiful wood, beautiful work.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

KC,

Those are outstanding!!!!! Excellent craftsmanship and some absolutely beautiful wood.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Kirk, wonderful work. I've been wanting to try mesquite. The side tables have amazing figure. How hard is it to get material of that quality? What is mesquite like to work? Is it stable, I have a sense that it wants to move a lot. thanks for sharing..joe

sweet!

I like the radius between the end caps and the desk top - nice detail.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen
    Kirk, wonderful work. I've been wanting to try mesquite. The side tables have amazing figure. How hard is it to get material of that quality? What is mesquite like to work? Is it stable, I have a sense that it wants to move a lot. thanks for sharing..joe
    Joe,
    I have been told by others that Mesquite is the most stable of all woods. I have some to turn and been told that it should be turned wet. A good local source for Mesquite is Chandler Hardwood, he's got over 60,000 Bd.Ft. still in logs that he'll custom mill for ya and kiln dry. If you want to know how to find them send me a PM.

Well done, I'm sure they will get a lot of attention at the show.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    KC, can I apprentice with you?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very very nice Kirk, I really enjoyed looking at those photos. You did one fantastic job. I have sprayed a lot of SW Pre-Cat but never dull-rubbed-effect.
    I think I like it!

Dave