Thread: Stupid Mistake, Real Stupid

Stupid Mistake, Real Stupid

I needed to cut four panels the same size so I decided to use the tablesaw fence to get the right length without any having to measure each panel. I attached a block to the front end of the fence so I wouldn't trap the piece between the fence and the blade. Then I placed the crosscut sled in the right (or in this case, the wrong) miter slot. Since the panel was almost as big as the sled, I didn't notice anything was wrong until the blade hit the fence at the back of the sled. Oops, now I have a really short sled that only works in the right miter slot. I guess I'll be making a new one this evening.
    Dennis

Could have been allot worse...like one of your hands may have been where the saw blade started exiting the sled fence.

It's always good to have more than one crosscut sled anyway
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito
    It's always good to have more than one crosscut sled anyway

Bills right. I have two, one for the left slot, relatively short and one for the right slot, relatively long.

Glad you didn't hurt yourself. Sleds are easy to replace.....
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Byron and Bill,

I have two, oops had two, one which I used in the left slot and one like David Marks uses. It goes in both slots and covers almost the entire width of the table. The problem is I can't use it with the splitter and blade guard. It's PITA to switch back and forth between crosscutting and ripping so I don't use it often. I never thought of making one for the right side, but I'll do it when I build a new one.
    Dennis