Thread: Small wine racks, way to big of a project

Small wine racks, way to big of a project

I thought building 30 of these wouldn't be too big of a project. I was wrong like every other time. I made these out of claro walnut, curly redwood, Myrtle, curly cherry, maple burl, curly maple and wenge. All of them were different and sometimes the block of wood I had influenced the design. The basic design came from a wine rack I saw on the internet. The copper I used a patina from David Marks. Pretty easy to use and came out good. The backs I either used bent lamination or steam bending. Some will be gifts and others I am attempting to sell. Just did these for fun, well not really fun but I have to be out in the shop every night so these fulfilled my madness.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe just making 5 or 10 of them might have still stayed fun?

Look nice though.

Al

Yes 5-10 would have been a short fun project. Unfortunately I bought enough wood for 30. I did learn some new things like bent lamination and steam bending. Obviously some bent really good and some went almost back to straight. I also learned how to do the chemical patina. I also learned to use my imagination a little more, sometimes it worked and others it was lacking.

Thumbs up nice!

I can't seem to estimate time correctly either. But man those are some interesting looking pieces. I thought the third one, with the bark, was my favorite, but then I saw the fourth one. Wow. Forget the wine. I get a rush just looking at the wood!

Those are super nice Chris especially with the holidays coming up. I agree with the 30+ type projects After my last project where I had to make 25, I was getting sick looking at them and couldn't wait to get rid of them

Can you use the wood for some other smaller projects?

Mark, thats why I did 30, I got a rush looking and buying wood. I got a little carried away on ebay.

Helen, the rest of the wood I have remaining will be turned on my lathe once I get a chance. Well after the bedroom set is done. As for getting tired looking at them, I was pushing hard lately just to get the weight of them off my shoulders.

Neat idea Chris. Great job.

Corey

They're very pretty, and an excellent exercise in technique, I think as well. I remember hearing an old saying about doing the same thing many different ways to learn more about it. Not necessarily about wine racks, but different techniques of woodworking, with different grains, and shapes, and obviously NE, and laminations... Very cool.

It's great that you made these as gifts, and I think I might follow your lead and find a simple project that can be duplicated in different ways. Maybe not wine racks, but maybe something else...

Nice racks....I like that they are all different!