Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D/C fuse blowing, Help! Bill Pentz is coming Sat.

D/C fuse blowing, Help! Bill Pentz is coming Sat.

Hi all,
    Finally got the Clearvue fired up last night. All I can say it WOW!!! I am jazzed! It ran beautifully 10 or so times last night and today, but it has blown two set of fuses today. I have it wired to a 30 amp CB, with # 12 wiring. I also have a remote that activates the contactor. When it does blow the fuses, it does so in a very short time (1 second). The remote still activates the contactor.
    Any ideas? Bill is coming on Sat. for an air quality test.

Jan,
    We need more info. Are you getting to much airflow, is the ducting hooked up. There could be any number of things wrong but without more info it's impossible to help. I'll PM you my cell number and maybe I can help you over the phone.

How big is the motor? The fuses? I assume it is 220V?

As Don and Matt said, we need more information. I'm a bit confused when you say you are blowing fuses, but your 30 amp breaker is tripping. Do you have both a fuse and a breaker in the circuit? Have you inadvertently opened all the gates in the system (this could cause the motor to draw more than the rated current)?

Also, I don't think this would be your immediate problem, but for a 30 amp circuit, you should have 10 guage wire. Just something to be aware of.

Good luck!

5. I don't know anything about your dust collector problem, but you cannot put 30 amp circuit protection on 12 guage wires. The maximum circuit breaker size for 12 guage wire is 20 amps.

The DC is a 5 HP Clearvue, and is wired to a 30 amp circuit breaker, and yes the ducting is installed. Do you think I should start the DC with all the blast gates closed? I will try in included pics of the set-up.

Yes, try it with all gates closed. That will minimize the current pulled by the motor.

Ok, So I have a section of #12 wiring (about 2 ft)that goes from the motor to the circuit breaker. It is a piece of wiring that was originally was used for a dryer outlet for the garage. (Maybe it is 10 gauge!!) It is quite thick compared to the romex I have. I am trying to upload some pics. (having my problems with pic size)

Rick has a VERY good point. Your wiring is undersized. You should correct that, then fix the next problem. The breaker is to protect the wiring, not the motor.

OK Don please PM me with your cell phone number, since I can't seem to get this picture thing right!!

The wiring was done to code, according to an electrical contractor. I am just ignorant on this part!!!!

Attachment 48366 There! I did it
    Last edited by Jan Williamson; 10-12-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Attachment 48367 Here is another one.
    Don, I didn't get your PM yet.
    Thanks again!
    Last edited by Jan Williamson; 10-12-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Back pressure

After talking with my husband, he said all the wiring is # 10. So that is good.
    I wonder if the closet that the Cyclone is in is too airtight. I haven't installed a vent yet, but there was a lot of air coming out from below the doors. I tryed it with the doors open, and it fire's right up, and again with the doors closed and it blew the fuses again.... I'll be installing the vent tomorrow.

I think you found your problem. If you restrict air on the downflow side of the blade /output, then it will up the amps.Restrict on the inflow side and the amps go down.
    Randy
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Since you already found the problem, this is a bit irrelevant but though I'd ask it here anyway.
    One thing that surprised me a bit when I wired up my ClearVue was the wire gauge inside the motor cover. Obviously this is more of a Leeson question, but the wires that get wire nutted to the 220 10 gauge (or 8 gauge in my case) looked like they were 14-gauge. For sure, not bigger than 12-gauge. Why is the smaller gauge wire OK for the last 6" on the motor end when you need 10-gauge for the wiring run? Just a question out of curiousity from an electrical idiot.
    Use the fence Luke