Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sears Craftman Miter Saw Accident

Sears Craftman Miter Saw Accident

In April 2004, I experienced an unfortunate accident. While cutting crown molding, I noticed the blade and the angle adjust handle were not lined up.

Thinking it was out of the detent, I moved it with my left hand. Suddenly, the handle broke off and my hand went into the blade.

I lost my left index finger. Two additional surgeries removed the index finger to the wrist and 20% of my hand.

I have several power tools, been woodworking for years. Never an accident or failure like this.

Weeks later, I looked at the saw. I found that one of the adjustment handles mount legs (on the underside of the saw) had broken off. The fracture began as a crack and grew until failure.

Engineering analysis revealed two defects with the saw:
    1) the cast aluminum base metal was too pores (porosity). Too much air was allowed into the molten metal during casting.
    2) The saw's blade guard does not cover enouph of the blade to meet OHSA and import safety standards.

Since 2004, I have contacted Sears and Consumer Protection Agency with this information. I also found that the problem affects more than just my saw.

My saw is a model 315.212.110. In Aug 2005, I located a privately owned Delta saw (113.234.600) that had cracks in the handle mounts. In Jan 2006, I found two saws on display in Sears stores that had similar cracks ( model 315.212.340) The Store managers pulled the saws.

In June 2006 I purchased a new Sears Miter Saw (model 315.212.340) after finding the display likewise cracked.

In Aug 2006, I located a fifth saw in Memphis with cracks in the base.

I have attached a picture of the saw's broken base.

I ask that other members with Sear's or Delta miter saws check the underside of the frame and rotating table for developing cracks arround the front adjustment handle. It could save someone else their fingers.

R. Pickard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

name

You are required by the Terms of Service to use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten with that information and she will update your registration.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Salisbury
    Your Friendly Moderator
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Please post another picture ( better if possible ) of the cracks, I have a sears miter saw and I want to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Falgoust
    I wonder if the ghost of J. Edgar Hoover posted here if he'd catch flak for not using "John."

Especially if he was posting information about a defect that caused the loss of most of a hand. Sheesh.
    OK - I should bend the rules for someone because they got hurt or are new. The rules are the rules regardless of the circumstances. Gimme a break !!

I'm with Jeremy, I can't see the cracks in that first photo. Sorry to hear about your hand. Thanks for posting this warning to other CMS owners!

...art
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-12-2006 at 3:38 PM.

At any rate, Mr. Pickard, thank you for the warning, and I hope your enjoy your time here.

That portion of this post that was not responsive to the thread topic was redacted.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-12-2006 at 3:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Pickard
    In April 2004, I experienced an unfortunate accident. While cutting crown molding, I noticed the blade and the angle adjust handle were not lined up.

Thinking it was out of the detent, I moved it with my left hand. Suddenly, the handle broke off and my hand went into the blade.
    I, too, would like to see clearer pictures of the underside as I own a Delta saw and want to check it for this problem.

I'll try to put this in the most understanding way as possible as I keenly remember the blood trail from my dad's basement shop to the kitchen sink the day he lost 2 fingers on his TS - I must ask however - You state that you made the adjustment with your left hand - was this because your right hand was occupied opperating the saw? Were you trying to make this adjustment while the saw was in opperation? It would seem that making any adjustment to a tool while it is running is an invitation to injury.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    OK - I should bend the rules for someone because they got hurt or are new. The rules are the rules regardless of the circumstances. Gimme a break !!
    Ken, your post was just fine. Keep up the good work. Dick B.

R,

Sorry for your injury. My eyesight isn't the best either. Any chance on a better picture or link to a higher res picture outside the forum(but not in another forum)?

BTW, my cousin suffered a crippling injury as well. His name is J W Scott and says so on his Birth Certificate. It was somewhat common in the 1920's and 1930's to name kids with a letter instead of a full name. Just some food for thought.

Hope you heal well. All jokes aside, glad it wasn't your thumb.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Sorry you feel I was complaining Ken, I was not.

Your call.
    just sent you a PM
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    just sent you a PM
    and I answered you, I also deleted my posts, I did not mean to offend or get off track.

Now don't everyone get excited. But am I the only person who finds this a strange first post? It happened two years ago, why not post it then? And why buy another one if the first one was bad? What's the deal? Just curious about the timing.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken, in editing my post
    That portion of this post that was not responsive to the thread topic was redacted.
    And then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Bringhurst
    Ken, your post was just fine. Keep up the good work. Dick B.
    I think you missed some off-topic posts, Ken.

ETA:
    Last edited by Damien Falgoust; 10-12-2006 at 6:51 PM.

Tough group. I had to reduce the quality of the pictures due to the size restriction. At any rate, I have attached two more.

I have several as you can imagine.

I offer your organization this information to alert others of a defect that I have identified on 6 miter saws made by two manufacturers, involving 4 different models.

If you review the Consumer Protection Agency (CPA) web site, you will find several recalls on saws over the years. They include defective miter saw blade guards, saws that throw the blade off due to a defect and table saw fences that had 300 injuries before recalled.

The manufacturer has all the information and all but ignores the accident. The CPA has two additional Craftman miter saw accidents reported. One the handle broke off and a woodworker in GA lost his hand.

I have corrected my full name comment. It's Robert. Sorry if I came in at a bad time and ruffled anyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. The xxxxx of it is that if you can't trust the xxxxx metal what can you trust?

Moderator removed profanity - Please refrain from using such language which is a TOS violation
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 10-12-2006 at 8:01 PM.