Thread: Online how-to for "Scoops"?

Online how-to for "Scoops"?

So I'm talking with my Mom tonight and she mentions these wooden scoops she saw at a local gormet cookware store. She then tells me how nice of a project these would be for me to make. Now, I'm not the most alert person in the world (as my wife will gladly attest to). But even I could see where this was leading! Besides, if they're easy enough to make, I'm sure they'd be a real hit as Xmas gifts for my family.

So, I was just wondering if anyone knew of an online article (or even one that's been published in a wood mag) that outlines the procedure for turning wooden scoops like the kind Richard Raffan and Nick Cook are known for.

I've looked on Yahoo and was only able to find references to the Raffan book and some web sites that sell the scoops.

I imagine that they're somewhat straight forward to turn. You turn the shape, hollow it, and use a bandsaw to arrive at the final shape. Or would you bandsaw out the profile while it's still square?......

See why I'd like to read up on this?

Any help?
    Dominic Greco

In Raffan's video he does exactly what you said. Turn the shape and then cut it with a band saw.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Dominic:
    Raffan follows exactly the procedure you described first. Turn it, hollow it, sand it, final shaping with the bandsaw.

Good luck with the project.

Michael
    in snowy Ontario!!!!!

Well this one is not like Raffan's, but it sure looks interesting and neat!
    Take a look!
    http://www.woodturningonline.com/ass...oop/scoop.html
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <–––– I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

I've turned them the way you mention, hollowing a cup and then cutting it with the bandsaw to make it into a scoop. But you can also make a different version by turning a spindle with a ball on one end (make the ball as big as you want the scoop to be). Then mount it sideways in a chuck with spigot jaws or a homemade contraption to hollow out the scoop.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35997

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...7&d=1150642079

I made this one from a somewhat flat chunk of pithy waste that kinda resembled a piece of 8/4 x 6 x 12 for the Bonker Contest last winter.

Put it between centers oriented as facegrain and flattened one face. Reversed and remounted it at one end on a vac and shaped the scoop exterior, then reversed again and did the sccop interior. Sounded like a helicopter. Then mounted it as centerwork and made the handle.

My wife really liked it. So much so that it's now her "Go To Scoop" when dealing with kitty litter. Oy!
    Only the Blue Roads

If memory serves, Soren Berger did a demo on scoops at an AAW symposium. It is often available on thewoodworkingchannel.com . You just have to check the schedule periodically to catch it.

Yep! I watched it yesterday! Very cool!

Thanks everyone!

I'll check out the web sites and links you provided when I get home tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics of my frist shot at this some time soon
    Dominic Greco

Blog Entries
    I took a class with Soren several years ago and the jam chuck he used and us was pine. It really holds the ball well for hollowing out the scoop.