Thread: Shaper Sled

Shaper Sled

Hello all,

I am doing some large doors and want a safer way of holding onto the curved pieces. I have for too long been doing it free hand and now I am uncomfortable with it. I have been looking into the Aigner Curved Shapiing Device and was thinking that I should also use a sled to hold the templete and the piece being shaped.

So; I guess my question is, does anyone recommend a manufacture of a sled to hold the templete and the piece being shaped. Or does anyone have a favorite jig or setup that works good and is adjustable for different thickness of wood. In the near future I will be making quite a no. of doors, cabinet and passage so I think it is time to think about safety.

thanks
    Ben

shaper sled

there is a great book by lonnie bird. "the shaper book". I got it from my local library. Was enough for me to get the concepts. de-sta-co clamps and a template.

d
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Shaper sled

Charles Schmidt & Co has a unit for doing arch top door rails I have been thinking of buying one myself. It holds the rail and pattern for the door. I don't know how good it would be outside of doing cab door parts. I looked it up. It is called a panel crafter. weighs in at 47lbs and rides on a cushion of air. You supply compressed air for it. It was highly recommended to me on another forum. Pretty pricey though. If anyone has used one I would like to know. Still on the fence.

I've too would recommend Lonnie Bird's book. I just cut out a sled out of a piece of plywood. And use the De-sta-co clamps to hold the workpiece down. I feel much safer doing it that way.