Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My posting method

My posting method

Hello Everyone; Would you mind answering this question most truthfully for me. Actually, is there any other way?

Does the way I type my posts i.e. Font, Colour, Size, Italics bother you to any degree? If it does, would you mind telling me what bothers you the most, and on a scale of 1 - 10, how much it bothers you.

Respectfully
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Mack, doesn't bother me in the least in this form. But I despise looking at red print. Reminds me of my papers in school after the teacher was done!

Corey

Mack - First let me say that I very much appreciate your contribution to wood forums. IMO, I don't think the font choice or color either improves or degrades your messages. I always wonder why the italics though? Generally italics signifies emphasis. When I read things, I pay special attention to words in italics. Often if italics are used for words, I scan them first to determine if the message is of interest. Doesn't bother me to have all italics in anyway, but makes me wonder.

The font size, I really like. When you look at fine print on a computer screen all day long, the larger font is a blessing.

well

Mack, I wouldn't have said anything had you not asked, but since you did I paid attention and thought about it. The only think that I notice is because SMC's site has a blue tone to it, your blue font isn't as crisp as another color might be. But that is simply an observation.

Jake

And since you asked, the font comes out small on my computer, the italics are hard to read, and the lack of contrast between the type and background make it even harder. SMC's basic setup works great, why mess with it?

CPeter

Blue on blue is a bit hard on the bifocals, but readable.

Just wondering what brought that up, I've seen nothing wrong with your posting?

Content is what I look for.
    Al

Mack,

"Bother" isn't the right word, IMHO. It doesn't really bother me.

I would prefer that everyone (on all forums I visit) would just use the standard default fonts that the forum web page uses.

First, that gives everything a consistent look, which I find easy on the eyes, and makes for easy reading, and just a nice consistent look. Second, if I need to change fonts for my own reading comfort (eg: to make them larger), then I will change them in my own browser and that way all the posts that I read will get the same treatment, and it won't affect anyone else but me.

...art

Italics and color are a bit tougher to read...

Mack,

A few years ago, I did some research on text readability in documents. (I was doing some tech writing.) Some guidelines from that research:

- Always choose colors with maximum contrast. If white background, use black text. If yellow background, use blue text. Etc. See how difficult this is to read?

- Limit the amount of "special" colors and styles to when you want highlight something. Bold, uppercase, italics and colors are great to emphasize a point. If used too much, they lose impact. For example:

SMC is a great place to get info! Or... SMC is a GREAT place to get info!

- Except for heading and titles, use simple fonts and keep all text in that font. This is a great Title Font, but is difficult to read.

- My wife disagrees with me violently on this next point, but "technically" seriph fonts (Times New Roman, Garamond, etc.) are easier to read in small fonts than san-seriph fonts (Arial, Verdana, etc.) For example, Is this easier to read or Is this easier to read?

One thing to watch for is that some san seriph fonts are smaller than seriph fonts.

- Watch out for small fonts - Note that some people use high resolution monitors. Mine is 1600X1200. If you use a very small font, it's difficult to read on my monitor.

I hope this helps.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

The italics dont bother me though I find the regular font is easier on the eyes. But from someone who's had several retina and cataract surgeries - the lack of contrast with the blue font is real tough to read.
    Use the fence Luke

I appreciate the slightly larger font that you used. The italics are not a problem. The blue on blue is a bit hard to read but the larger font makes up for it.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I can read it Mack. No problem here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and most constructive manner in feedback.

To Dan Clark: Your research on readability in documents has given me a greater insight on that subject.

To Al Willits: who wondered why I brought up the subject -- a comment on another forum made reference to my blue font as being "irritating as hell".

Again, thanks everyone for your comments. SMC members once again live up to their reputation as being one of the best WW'ing forums on the net!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Wow Mack..!!!! This is MUCH better. My aging eye can read this much better. I could read you previous setup just fine, but this is even easier on my eyes. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron
    Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and most constructive manner in feedback.

To Dan Clark: Your research on readability in documents has given me a greater insight on that subject.

To Al Willits: who wondered why I brought up the subject -- a comment on another forum made reference to my blue font as being "irritating as hell".

Again, thanks everyone for your comments. SMC members once again live up to their reputation as being one of the best WW'ing forums on the net!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mack, both the blue and the italics in your old font did bother me. It didn't bother me enough that I would complain, but it did bother me.

I quite like your new choice of font and colour.

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    And since you asked, the font comes out small on my computer, the italics are hard to read, and the lack of contrast between the type and background make it even harder. SMC's basic setup works great, why mess with it?

CPeter
    Mack, I pretty much agree with CPeter's appraisal. For me, the verdana font is the easiest on my eyes.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney