Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Toronto

In Toronto

I have been touring and working on some business on my trip....Boston, Vermont, New Hamshire, Montreal, Quebec and the last few days Toronto. This morning I checked the directory at my Hotel Germain , which BTW is very nice and found there is a Lee Valley store here in Toronto. It turns out it was only 4 blocks from the hotel . So I walked to Lee Valley and it was as I expected, a clean, well organized store. It seems that all the catalogue items are on the floor for view and purchase. I restrained myself since the difficulty of carring items and I think we get a slightly better price in the US using the catalogue and internet. It was nice to see the items in person... I really did not see much more as far as woodworking....some nice items at Simon pearce in Vermont.....a nice rocking chair in Quebec and a great shop as part of a large farm in Vermont, where they also make cheese....We are flying out in a couple of hours and I am glad to get back....back to the house...my workshop with the large wenge table to finish...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hey Mark, actually there are three LVT's in Toronto.

The other thing that you find in a Lee Valley store is the "Special Deals" and the "Sale" table. The sale table has "Returns" and "scratch-n-dent" stuff marked down. But yeah, otherwise it is all in the catalogs.

...art

Mark,
    I'm glad your having a great trip, sounds like it is also an interesting one. It's always nice to come home.

4. Mark, I'm REALLY impressed at your will power, when I get to a Lee Valley store, (last time was about 6 years ago!) I cannot possibly leave without buying SOMETHING

Actually I just put in a long awaited order......... $825........ Plus shipping.....

I sold some bike stuff, and I'm selling my old C-man lathe, should cover it.

I found that the Lee Valley I went to in Vancouver was also very neat and tidy, and the staff behind the counter where VERY helpful, and knew their stuff, a VERY nice change!

Enjoy your trip Mark, take care!

Cheers!

Thats nice to know Mark that you were up by these parts...What do you think of Montreal?

Mark, I did a demo in May of 2005 for the Toronto Woodturning club. As we drove up from PA to Canada, I realized that of all the things I had to bring with me, the only one I had forgotten was a square drive bit for my cordless drill. So, as we drove along the 401 (I think I got that right) I saw signs for a Lee Valley store. We pulled in and after spending some time stretching my legs, I bought a grand total of two square drive bits. I could have spent lots more, but SWMBO was with me, and besides, the truck was already crammed with tools. But the lady who rang me up got a big kick out of me driving many hundreds of miles to spend less than $5.00!

Bill

Sounds like a great trip, Mark...and I can only imagine that a visit to a real Lee Valley store is a treat!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Eat while you are there...

Eat at the Bon Marche (I think that is it), locals can direct you. Great place for Sunday morning breakfast.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Mark, glad you enjoyed yourself here. Sorry that your visit was so short.

You are correct about Lee Valley stuff by mail order being cheaper in the US. Particularly when you consider that you don't have to add the 14% tax that we get hit with. Oh well, for me, 14% is worth it to be able to live here.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-14-2006 at 5:45 PM.

I would love to walk into a Lee Valley store some day - if SWMBO was present, hopefully it would be on my birthday or something.

I keep hoping they'll start opening LV stores like WCs and Rocklers. I imagine the high quality customer service would take a hit tho...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    ...the only one I had forgotten was a square drive bit for my cordless drill. So, as we drove along the 401 (I think I got that right) I saw signs for a Lee Valley store. We pulled in and after spending some time stretching my legs, I bought a grand total of two square drive bits. I could have spent lots more, but SWMBO was with me, and besides, the truck was already crammed with tools. But the lady who rang me up got a big kick out of me driving many hundreds of miles to spend less than $5.00!
    Bill, you can buy square drive bits at any Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, or any other hardware store in Canada. They're about as common as Tim Hortons donut stores! I'd laugh at you too, for going to Lee Valley for such a ... common thing.

But then, Robertson bits are just not as common (yet) south of the border, are they...

best,
    ...art

Mark, was your trip to the LV store just like I described in post #30 in this thread?............I hope it was, I really do.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=valley

That's how I remember it anyway.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 10-14-2006 at 9:27 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Mark, was your trip to the LV store just like I described in post #30 in this thread?............I hope it was, I really do.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=valley

That's how I remember it anyway.
    OK, now THAT was priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    But then, Robertson bits are just not as common (yet) south of the border, are they...

best,
    ...art
    Not yet Art, but we're working on it! I have been using them since the early 80s, and it was really tough to find them then! Of course, it gave me an excuse to stop at LV, too. I send lots of money there on a regular basis, so it was nice to see where it goes.

Bill

Marc,
    Glad you are having a great trip. I could not have restrained myself if I had gone into LV, so I am glad it was you and not me. Be safe and welcome back.