Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: saw scott phillips at wood craft today- delta to be made in U.S.A.

saw scott phillips at wood craft today- delta to be made in U.S.A.

hi just got back from wood craft at their annual woodworking extravaganza . scott phillips gave many demonstrations and he said that last week he was in a meeting with delta boss's , they said that a 9% price increase is coming next week. he also said that the reason is that delta is moving their production back to U.S.A. . he also said that their is a standing order for 450 new machinists in tennessee.i took this as all delta products will be made in U.S.A.. i for one will pay 9% more for made in the U.S.A..( this is the first i have heard of this. if this is old news please disregaurd .) my tool decisions (brand) may have gotten easier. have a great weekend tim m. in centerville , ohio.

2. If that does become the case, look for some good deals on JET tools in my area.

Tim, that's great news! I would gladly pay the extra percentage if I could purchase a "Made in USA" tool! Thanks for passing the information along, it was news to me!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Made In The USA. Isn't that a Springsteen song?

Music to my ears. 9%? Worth it, especially if the quality goes up.

I'll have to wait and see now. This would definitely alter my future TS and BS purchases.

Interesting, lots to digest in this post. I wonder if anyone down at the Delta plant in Jackson, TN have heard this. Since Delta is owned by Black & Decker and everything they produce is made over seas, I wonder why they are making an about face on this. If 450 people hit the ground in Jackson right now they couldn't find a place to live...

Tim,

If this is true, that really is great news. I hope it to be so.

Bob
    bob m

That would be great news. Now if they can find hundreds of machinists in Tennessee that can fit the bill. ( only kidding!!!)

Gary K.

Yup, as long as the quality comes with the "Made In USA" sticker, it's well worth the 9%! I wonder how long it will be before those machines start hitting the market, though? Fortunately, I'm pretty well set for main machines. .......Well, except that nice 3hp shaper Delta makes would look nice in here!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

tennessee ....I think that some of the companys are finally realizing that they are not being supported since they have moved over seas but I migh be wrong too. I do know that the quality we have with things made elsewhere is not very good and we have many problems trying to get pars to work properly....But its great news
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

I for one hope this is true however there is a difference between "Made in the USA" and "Assembled in the USA". Assembled in the USA would not be worth an additional 9% added cost to me.

I am going to wait to see the proof in this rumor. Delta closed it's main USA tool plant in MS a few years back. I can't imagine how bringing their production facilities will do what they really want, to make more profits. I own Delta equipment (all made over younder) and it is very good gear and I have no complaints. Lastly, I don't think they could talk 450 machinists into moving to Jackson, plus there wouldn't be a place for them to live. Paint me a skeptic...

For me, this is one of those "I won't believe it until I actually see it" sort of situations. Once offshore, I can't imagine any company trying to economically re-establish a manufacturing base here. Presuming they've kept the original building(s) etc., they'll still have astronomical startup costs, in addition to much higher labor costs, as well as greater potential liability exposure.

DeWalt bought them a year or so ago, and it's already well known that quality has suffered, as has customer service. DeWalt already has many products that compete directly with the Delta line - miter saws, hybrid saw, etc., so I can't imagine them trying to 'improve' Delta to compete with the established products.

Some thing just sound too good to be true...

Hmmm... I wonder...

Since we sold our cast iron, then our steel, now our copper to other countries are we seeing buy back costs too high? As firearm shooters may have noticed, or will soon, ammo/bullet/brass costs have gone up about 30% in the last year and expected to climb more. This is 3x what we have seen in any of the 35 years that we have been in business. The more we dug into the "why" of our wholesale cost increases, the more we found that we did not own the metals. This has been distressing to me, the one who receives orders and changes prices.

I'm not sure how producing the product in country will be effected. We still have to buy back our metals.

And I am sad to say that "made is USA" does not mean quality control anymore. Many imports have fewer quality control issues than our own products.

I will gladly pay 9% more for equal quality USA products to imports. We must support our workers to maintain a "position" in the world. I hope that we can recoup a superior position. I don't think this is a political statement, but if Ken thinks it is, delete it. I will not sweat it.

David

Could I get a clarification please on this subject? My new (used) Unisaw is supposed to be about 4 years old, according to the old owner. The base cabinet has a sticker on it that says, "Proudly made in the USA". Does this mean that it is actually only assembled in the USA? If not, would someone be so kind as to explain exactly what it does mean?

My question isn't from a political standpoint (I want a good quality product. If it's actually "MADE" in the USA, so much the better), I am just wondering if I'm using a real American made product or one from another country.

Thanks very much for your input.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Maybe someone else knows the current requirements to being labelled "made in US". But the last I heard it was 0% parts manufactured in the US, and assembly required in the US. At least that is what we are being told about guns. It has gradually dropped over the past few years.

David