Thread: Need some hinge Help!

Blog Entries

Need some hinge Help!

I'm making a dresser for my son in law and encountered a problem with the hinges. The attached drawing shows the area of concern. I want the hinges to be totally concealed from the outside with the doors shut. The door needs to swing open more than 90 degrees. The door needs to be fully inset as drawn. The face frame and door frame are 3/4" thick material. The door will be 34" tall and about 18" wide and will be made from oak with a raised panel. I would like to keep the inside area as clear as possible since there are two adjustable shelves inside.

I don't think I can use conventional Euro style hinges because they mount to the inside of the side panel which in this case is 2" from the edge of the face frame. All the styles I've found that mount to the face frame are for overlay doors.

Do they make a hinge that would mount to the back of the door and the inside of the face frame that would allow the door to swing open more than 90 degrees.

Any other suggestions for hinges??

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-20-2003 at 10:03 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hi Lee.

Yes, such a hinge is made. I ordered some here awhile back for those two painted bookcases, but my client did not like the physical size of the completely concealed cup hinges. Yes, they mount to the back of the face frame stile and open up 165°.

Go to grassusa.com (I would have given you the full link, but they use frames on their site). Go to Products>Hinges, scroll down to the 3000 series, open the spec sheet PDF and go to page 4 (of 4) to see the funky mounting adapter plate. It screws to the back of the stile and "points" to the back of the case interior. Any cabinet parts distributor should be able to help you with the right hinge itself.

Todd.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 10-20-2003 at 12:13 PM.

Lee --
    Another option is the Soss hinge. It mounts in the plane of the door, is invisible from the front of the cabinet, and opens 180 degrees. Unlike cup hinges, there's no built-in adjustability, so mounting them is a little fussy. Soss hinges are available from tiny to giant. Most woodworking catalogs sell at least a few. You can also look at Soss's web site to see the full range.
    Jamie

Although I rarely use them, I bought some full inset Euro hinges from Rockler that I've used with face frames just like your picture illustrates. I used them on my grinding center that sits near my lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here's what I was talking about

Here's the hinge I was speaking about in my post above:
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...