Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide what clamps I need.

Help me decide what clamps I need.

OK, most of my decisions on scaling back my shop to a smaller subset of tools came pretty easy once I finally made up my mind, but clamps are another story. I'm trying to decied what I need vs. what I have. I know I don't need everything I have but I'm not sure what I need to be able to do projects. Heres what I've got:

K-Bodies
    (10) 24"
    (4) 31"
    (4) 40"
    (2) 50"

"F-Style" clamps
    (6) 12" HD Jorgensen
    (4) 16" no-names
    (4) 6" Harbor Freight
    (10) 4" Bessey
    (6) 6" Quick Grips
    (2) 30" Jorgensen light duty

Other
    (12) pipe clamps of various lengths
    Bessey strap clamp
    Numerous plastic spring clamps (note to new woodworkers--you'll rarely use these if at all.)
    Several pairs of C-clamps in various sizes.
    8 plastic wrapped bricks like DJM uses on his show

Help me decide what I should sell off and what I should keep. No fair telling me I should sell something because you want to buy it.

Edited to clarify that I'm REDUCING the number of clamps.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-15-2006 at 9:14 PM.

2. Hi Matt,

It's a fine list. Your work will let you know where you may need more of one type, or where you may have more of a type than you need.

Take care, Mike

Just to clarify, I'm scaling back my shop for those who don't know. I have the list of clamps above and want to reduce the number.

You have a fine start, Matt. However, I would add 2 more 50"ers to the list for a total of 4.

Second, take a look at the Gross Stabil line at All Pro tools. Personally, I think they are a better clamp than the very good Besseys. I have 4 12" and 4 60" GS clamps and find them easier to use than the Besseys.
    Best Regards, Ken

Matt, I read your post and clearly understand you want to reduce the number of clamps. Don't. This is the one thing where more is still better, even for a cut-back shop situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt, I understand you are scaling back. it seems like most glue-ups take four clamps at a time and are under 40". So for the K-Bodies, I would get rid of everything except the 4 - 40"

As for the F-Styles, I would keep 4 of the HD Jorgies.

I would keep two of the pipe clamps and keep/get one union. I would also keep the strap clamp - it would be useful to fix a chair (not that you couldn't do it with some rope).

I'd sell all of the c-clamps except one 6"

Matt,

I might dump a couple 24" k-bodies, all the pipe clamps, and most of the c-clamps. But I doubt you can get much for them (except for the k-bodies), so you'll need to decide if it's worth it. A garage sale may be your best bet, people go nuts when they see decent tools, you might get $12 - $15 for a pipe clamp, where you would be luck to get that including shipping on ebay.

John

Oh, Matt!

Selling clamps! That has to be a tough one. If you get to Arkysaw often, I might change my mind. Otherwise, I would definitely keep as many K-bodies as you can and some "C"s. Maybe a couple of the pipe clamps and some quick clamps. I can't remember your clamp storage, but with those the storage needs should be fairly minimal.

David

Matt, even with a scaled back shop, you need to consider what you will build. Personally, clamps would be the last thing I'd consider selling. They don't take up that much space. Mine are up between the joists in my basement shop.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    I'll second Jim's post; if anything goes it shouldn't be the clamps. On the other hand, I wouldn't pass up a deal on a pair of 31" and a pair of 24" K-bodys to round out my stable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Matt, I read your post and clearly understand you want to reduce the number of clamps. Don't. This is the one thing where more is still better, even for a cut-back shop situation.
    Twasn't clear until Matt edited the post

Matt, I would make a list of what you have built and intend on building for the next 2 years, minimum of 1 year. Only you can do that. Then figure what clamps would be needed to assemble those pieces in stages--unless you are making for a living or plan to.

If that's the case, keep them all. You won't recoup the original cost and should you need to buy more, well, the economy of less will bite you.

fwiw, a little over one year ago I initiated what I called The Quest For Less. I scaled way back on tools, both power and hand tools. Sold a bunch of clamps [I had a going shop] but still have a bunch. I will probably sell off most of those remaining.

Most of what I make can be held together with band clamps for carcasses, a few Bessys for panels. I typically do glue-ups just before knocking off for the day, so I can get them out first thing in the morning and continue. Heck, I even use twine. It works great.

I'll probably keep a few clamps, maybe 4 of the 24" and 2 of the 50". Maybe. I also have a few sets of those red panel clamps and a table. That will be it. I don't need the remainder.

Good luck figuring out what you need. But if you have doubts, store the extras in the attic or something. Then, what hasn't been used for a time, sell them then.

Take care, Mike

Matt,

when I'm laminating, which is typically for thickness (i.e., 2-3 4/4 pieces), I most often want the 24". I have 8, and wouldn't want any less, but 4 is typically what I use. The thing is that if I have 4 sets to laminate, I will think of doing 2 set, 4 clamps each. I also have 4 40", and 4 50". If you need to laminate panels up, the longer ones are invaluable, unless you have some pipe clamps (not my faves).

I have to agree with Jim though, I don't think you should get rid of any of them. I mean, how much space will you save by doing so, and how much will you be able to sell them for?

I don't think used Bessys are gonna bring that much money either. So what is the gain in getting rid of clamps? It's not like making space by using the ez-smart rather than a table saw, that will probably bring some $$$s, and make space also.

If anything I'd buy at least 4 12" clamps! This is exactly what I want to do, I would use the 12" size quite a bit. Would like to have 8 of those.

OTOH, 4 sets of pipe clamps would be able to replace most of those, with differenct size pipes, but I don't really care for pipe clamps, I like the K bodies better, but all of our milage varies. In fact I need to laminate a couple sets of 5 x 4/4 right now, which I'll use the 24" K bodies, and if I had 12" I'd use them. Good luck on yoru downsizing, are the AI chisels going cheap? I might be willing to help you downsize for the right price. I don't think downsizing is a money making proposition though, in my experience selling tools I typically sell them for less than I paid for them. I have to assume you're doing this for space, and it doesn't seem clamps will save that much space.

I would probably dump all of the pipe clamps and some of those esoteric clamps that you would use infrequently. I use my K bodies all the time. Maybe you don't. Best to keep what you use and get rid of what you don't if that's your intention. What I use or someone else uses will not help you much, unless you start making the same type of stuff.
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 10-16-2006 at 3:43 AM. Reason: That's ez-smart, not ez-guide...:-(
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Remove which ones? NONE!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Matt,

I would have to agree with the majority of posts here, keep the clamps. Not only do they not take up a lot of space, probably wouldn't get much return for them, but you never know what project is around the corner (big or small). If you are stead fast on reducing your inventory, then hide a few of them away for a while and see what you can really make due with/without, then sell'em. Would hate for you to sell part of your set away only to take on a project down the road and need to buy a couple that you used to have. Best of luck with your down sizing, sorry you had to make the decision, but am glad to hear you are sticking with it even if it is on a limited basis.

Eric
    The only way to make dreams come true is to wake up.

And from left field...

Matt, how's this for a different opinion - I think you should get rid of all of them! Then acquire only what you need as you do projects.

My feeling is that I personally don't place enough of a premium on space - it's valuable. And clamps aren't in the same league as a table saw. Assuming you have a minimal amount of money to spend on your hobbies, a basic set of clamps (not K-bodies!) isn't that expensive. And you'll only have what you need.

Maurice