Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Help UPDATE

Question Need Some Help UPDATE

Wife found this monster over the weekend.
    big squash.jpg

We always get at least one of these each year for corn and squash soup. Haven't had one this big before. I usually just use my butcher knives and hack and slash through the skin until I get to the good stuff inside. I'm pretty much worn out by the time I finish also. Surprisingly I've never amptutated any appendages doing it that way.

This one being so big though, I was wondering if anyone out there has any safer way of getting the skin off, short of nuclear devices. We usually just cube the flesh up and freeze it for later use so I don't really want to cook it till the skin gets soft in order to get to the good stuff. Besides, while I have a pot big enough to put that thing in, I'd have to build a fire outside for the pot.

Any ideas, suggestions????

TIA,

Karl
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 10-18-2006 at 4:14 PM.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I'd be tempted to put it on the bandsaw..

3. An axe and a stump come to mind

Bandsaw........but.......Normally, around these aparts, we don't eat sumpin' that looks like that. You been watering that with some neuclear waste water?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

What Stu said, although I'd probably reach for the machete instead of the ax.

Of course, I expect it's as hard to find a machete in Wisconsin as it is to find a snow shovel in southern California.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Hacksaw or backsaw may work, and it will be easier to sanize an clean the blade before and after than a bandsaw.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Finally! Something for a mustard lathe!
    Only the Blue Roads

It looks like that might be a Hubbard squash. I grew a few when we lived in Ohio. They are mean to open, as you well know. My all time favorite is the Acorn squash.

I just thought of this. Go down the local borg and get the cheapest rip saw you can find. Wash it throughly. Have at the squash just like it was a big burl. PLus, you are armed for next year.
    Best Regards, Ken

I'm with Andy on this one. Mustard worked for me!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14178

I had thought of using my bandsaw, but the thought of the clean up really is detering me from that endeavor.

Getting an el cheapo saw isn't too bad an idea. And yes it is a hubbard Ken. They are so good eating, but a pain to get into.

Had a machete at one time. Tried it on one of these. It punctured the skin only about 1/16". If you ever need a snow shovel Lee, just holler.

I guess it could be chucked up and spun. That could be messy, but I'll bet it'd be a lot of fun.

Andy, you want to try???? Or Dennis????

Karl

Laguna 16HD.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver
    I'm with Andy on this one. Mustard worked for me!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14178
    That's a smooooth skinned one Ted. And a lot smaller than the monster I've got.

FYI the beast measures 22" from stem to stern. 43" circumference and somewhere around 18-20" accross. It weighs in at a svelte 26.4 lbs. Not bad for $5.00.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    If you ever need a snow shovel Lee, just holler.
    I'm waaay over my lifetime quota for shovelling snow. If I ever need a snow shovel, either something has gone very very very VERY wrong with my retirement or that "global warming" theory is seriously flawed.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Log Splitter...hydraulic if available.

Or drop from a 20 story building on concrete?

Maybe have a semi run over it?

Well worth the effort once you get inside.

Hey Karl, I like the draw fronts in your kitchen....Did you make those?

Potato peeler?