Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Mats, what do you have?

Rubber Mats, what do you have?

I am wanting to get some rubber mats for areas in my shop to make it more comfortable than the concrete.

What do you guys have that you like that you find gives you the most cushion. Anything would be better than concrete just didn't know if there was some mats that are better than others.

Thanks

I have some that came from one of the vendors at a woodworking show, one section my dad gave me, and a bunch of the interlocking tiles from Sams Club. The ones from Sams are great, but the do like to slide around a little. The best part is that they are very inexpensive--something like $17 for 6 2x2 tiles. We did part of our basement with them for my daughter's play area and I got the leftovers.

Check out the mats they use for horse stalls...they are inexpensive...very heavy...but cushion the old knees well.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

comfort king

i got two matts for christimas last year and the only markings i can find on the underside is "comfort king" (along with a kangaroo - the underside is blue and the top is black). you can probably google them for ordering info. my mom got me these and she said she was told that these are the same matts that they use on some of g.e.'s assembly lines. i also got some woodcraft specials and they don't even compare. the comfort kings are like walking on padded carpet. the woodcraft are like walking on hard rubber. i highly recommend the comfort king matts. i think they are pricy but your feet and back will thank you. good luck.

jud

I use a 3'x3' mat I picked up from Home Depot. Since all my tools are mobile, I can easily move it around the garage if I'm going to be working at one tool for an extended period of time, such as the lathe. It's a waffle type design so sawdust falls through the 1" holes so it takes a little while before you find yourself standing on top of the mess.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I'm using the interlocking tiles from Sam's Club. I have my entire shop 'carpeted' with them. (26" X 30')

Over the course of a year and a half or so, I bought one or two packages of the tiles every time we were in Sam's. It sorta became a joke with my wife. "Need more tiles, honey?"

BTW, the price on them is going up a bit. I started out paying $16 for eight tiles. The last ones I bought were just over $19.

The ones I have are from Farm and Fleet and were labeled as Stall Mats. They were relatively inexpensive as shop equipment goes. They do the trick quite nicely.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I have mats that I picked up at shows and some of the same material I ordered from ULine (for both the shop and our kitchen...the latter has a full-thickness brick floor and I have a 12' x 3' mat in the "work triangle") in use. I find them comfortable and the price fine. The stall mats are a nice option, although many of them are thicker than I prefer.

One idea may be for a few folks to "get together" and order a full roll from Uline, splitting the cost proportionally. That would be about $5+ a linear foot for the 3' wide material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm another Sam's Club mat user. I have them interlocked in front of my workbench and table on one side of the garage. I'm planning to replace the table (made of 2x4's and not flat) with a miter bench ala NYW. Nice mats for the price IMHO.
    Jeremy Gibson

Another vote for the interlocking 2x2 mats - Have had them for several years - very comfortable and easy on the back. Got mine at HD.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

I picked up these at Harbor Freight recently. The set was on sale for $5.00 and I believe the regular price was around $8.00.

Thanks for all the help fellas, I am going to take a look at those Comfort King ones which are 3/8" thick, the stall ones might be to thick, at least the ones I looked at. Will also take a look at the Sams ones or the ones I might see at HD.

I also use the ones from Sams club. Good mats for the price.

Got mine from the local Lowes. They sell them in 30" wide and in whatever length you want. Approx. $3.00 per foot and well worth it.
    You may also check your local farm supply dealer for horse stall mats.

I had the 2 x 2 interlocking mats but took them up. They are currently stored in my shop's attic. I got tired of trying to clean around them.

One of the mags recently had a tip that I found interesting. Instead of placing mats, they advocated cutting mat material to glue to the bottom of your shop shoes.

There would now be a mat wherever you walked and nothing in the way when sweeping up.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln