Thread: Someone came around the mesquite show...

Someone came around the mesquite show...

...Sunday afternoon just before closing. I'd remember your face, but I'm not good at paying attention to names.

Whoever you were, my apologies for not stopping to visit more. They let us load out first so we can get out of the way, and we like to get up there and get it done (so they let us go first again NEXT year! )

I'm not normally quite that rude.

And Norm...it was good seeing you again.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    ...Sunday afternoon just before closing. I'd remember your face, but I'm not good at paying attention to names.

Whoever you were, my apologies for not stopping to visit more. They let us load out first so we can get out of the way, and we like to get up there and get it done (so they let us go first again NEXT year! )

I'm not normally quite that rude.

And Norm...it was good seeing you again.

KC
    I not sure who it was but I did go by your booth a couple of times but didn't see anyone there late Sunday. I did look at your pieces and have to say they look better in person than in the pics. Maybe some other time.

How did you end up doing? How about sales for the entire show?

I was there. Kirk, I saw your booth but I didn't see you. Here are a couple of picture of things I saw that I thought were nice. It was very crowded so I didn't take many pictures.

The dresser won best in show. It was made by an outfit called Homestead Heritage. The pictures don't do the figure justice. The drawers were banded with Bolivian rosewood. Price...$8750.

The entertainment center was by Paul Alexander of Alexander Designs. He added a metal support under the center because he didn't want to add a divider down the middle.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry I missed you.

If you saw the two small round tables, they were already sold... the folks got there late Sunday afternoon to pick them up. I brought the big table home, I think in part because LOML made me bump the price. I like it too, but I don't make mesquite stuff to keep...so I woulda rather sold it.

Considering the iffy weather, we can't complain much about turnout. I didn't have much to take up there, and sold most of what I had... so I'm satsified. I enjoy that show regardless of sales. Lots of good work to look at, and some good people showing it.

KC

Well, the Mesquite show was very nice, with a wide variety of pieces of all types from turnings to scrollworks to rockers, chairs, tables, entertainment centers, armoirs, etc. I really enjoyed the show, (so much, I forgot to go back when it wasn't so crowded and take pictures)

I met some new folks, and really enjoyed the opportunity to visit again with KC, and his friend Randy, and their wives. Sorry I missed the chance to meet Mark and Gilbert. We did get to visit again with some other familiar exhibitors there.

The weather was a little "iffy" but at least no heavy rain during the daytime while the show was open. The LOML insisted we make a trip out to the Wildflower Seed Farm before we came home (to get a few seeds for her flower beds), AND........since we were so close at that point and I hadn't been there in many years, we detoured about 7 miles and swung by "Lukenbach", Tx and spent about an hour listening to some of the local singers and songwriters jam it up out under the trees, which was very nice and it gave the LOML a chance to quench her thirst with a Cold "Shiner" Bach, (she did allow me to have two SMALL sips for taste again), darn this diabetes...... (just forbids nearly anything that tastes good) and then I got to drive in the off and on rain all 275 miles home. We got lucky on the way home when the restaurant we planned on stopping at was closed, so we tried a (new to us) Mexican restaurant which was very good and extremely reasonably priced. We will patronize that place again. It was only about a long block from the one we usually go to and the food was better and cheaper.

All in all a great weekend and a very worthwhile trip. Sure was a pity more "Creekers" didn't get to make that trip.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Duksta
    I was there. Kirk, I saw your booth but I didn't see you. Here are a couple of picture of things I saw that I thought were nice. It was very crowded so I didn't take many pictures.

The dresser won best in show. It was made by an outfit called Homestead Heritage. The pictures don't do the figure justice. The drawers were banded with Bolivian rosewood. Price...$8750.

The entertainment center was by Paul Alexander of Alexander Designs. He added a metal support under the center because he didn't want to add a divider down the middle.

Mark
    Mark, that dresser looks identical to one that I saw last year at the Dallas Woodworking show. That is one very nice piece. The drawer action was as smooth as silk.
    My wife and I rode our bike down to Fredericksburg a couple of weeks ago. There was a jewelry shop on main street selling some mesquite furniture. It has me itching to try this wood out. Anyone have a good source for mesquite? I live in east texas, Tyler.
    Randy
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Mark...I liked that piece of Paul's also. I've been thinking of something similar for my own TV at home.

I didn't even know that had a 'best of' anything this year. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...but when they do, they usually tell us they are. I don't know who voted on it. Maybe I missed that in an announcement...the PA wasn't really reaching us in the corner.

The dresser may have been the same one Randy saw at another show. I expect they'll carry that one around awhile until the 'right' buyer comes around.

KC

Randy, I used to live in Tyler. The closest mequite I found was from Bob Pugh at Woods of Mission Timber in Sanger. www.woodsofmissiontimber.com . I buy from him every time I visit the in-laws. It also gives me an "errand" to run. Anyway he has some great stuff. Also, If you havent looked up Smith County Woodworkers yet, do it, they are a good group.

Kirk, your work is beautiful. one of these days, if the timing is right, I would love to see it in person.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

Randy,

I live in the Tyler area. I'm a lifer.

The closest place I've found for quality Mesquite is M&G Sawmill near Huntsville. They've got a lot of other lumber there, too along with great prices.

The Lumber Barn at Mt. Enterprise has a pretty good selection but only had a few scraps of Mesquite last time I was there.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln