Thread: Well, I'm a little disappointed.........UPDATED

Well, I'm a little disappointed.........UPDATED

I just today started on modifying my existing router table cabinet to accept my new router table, router, router lift, and fence system.

(see this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40445 )

I got the table out of it's box and laid it on my torsion box table. I stood back to make sure that it was flat and, to my BIG surprise, it was NOT. I put my 50" straightedge on it lengthwise, the table is 27" x 43", and it had a 1/16" to 3/32" gap under it.

Now I gotta call up Woodpecker, deal with them and, if all works out, wait for another router table to get here.

I got it back in August but it hasn't been out of the box until today. I hope I don't have any trouble with getting a replacement. Or do you think I may have waited too long to check it?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 10-20-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

With the dealings I've had with Woodpecker, and the stories of others, you'll be fine. They have been a stand up company to deal with. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

You'll be fine.

WP told me once, "If one of our products ever fails under normal use, we'll repair or replace it." EVER. So... I don't think it matters that your table's been in the box -- or been used -- or whatever. But let us know how this comes out anyhow.
    Athens, AL

Mark, as Jim stated, I think you'll be OK after you contact Woodpecker. Good peoples. But, in looking back on your original thread, I have to agree with the guys who suggested to also fortify the top w/angle iron. I put mine together with a laminated top from a discarded work cubicle and that puppy is a solid 1-1/4" thick and had always had the edges sealed. Started out nice and flat. After several months of my Hitachi M12V making its home there, I noted some sagging. I pulled the top, installed some angle iron in both directions and got her flat again. No probs since. I figure it's no different than I am with my own body....Age and gravity have a way of doing that to parts.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hey John

I don't think if he has a properly made torsion box he will have any problem.

I think you may remember this. CMS cabinet that I built on a torsion box base. It has the CMS, Mortiser, & now a small drill press on top & a Grizzly portable planer & Jet spindle sander inside along with all my mechanic tools in drawers in the middle & is just over 7' long & very heavy. The top is still nice & flat because of the foundation it was built on.

Torsion boxes also make very nice assembly table tops for cabinet & furniture assembly because they stay very flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I've got a lot of WP equipment. Had a couple problems. Woodpeckers stood behind their product 100%. Their customer service is the best. Dick B.

Yes, Dick. I agree and have had the same experience in the rare couple of times that something has come up. I really like Woodpecker products and I'm sure that this is just a fluke.

UPDATE:................

I just got off the phone with Woodpecker and they are sending a new table out. So....the new 7518, PRL and LS Super System will have to go back into their boxes for another week. Kinda like having to delay Christmas for a week after finally getting to sitting around the tree after already waiting till January.

Oh well, it's not like I don't have anything to do until then.

BTW, after reading my first post again I wanted to emphasize that I am not nor was I disappointed in Woodpecker and I'm sorry if it may have sounded that way to anyone. Stuff happens. I was/am just disappointed to have to wait a little longer to get my new kit put together.

Thanks very much to all.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 10-20-2006 at 12:49 PM.
    Mark Rios

Thanks for the update, Mark. Yeah, the wait smarts, but you know it will come together. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it going next weekend! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Well, at least they are honoring the warranty after the amount of time you have had it.

Travis, I've had it for about 2 1/2 months. I stored it in my second bedroom (my storeroom ) but it was still taped up in the box when I took it out to set it up. The lady was actually apologetic, for her company, that I had received a table that had warped. I assured her that I wasn't upset in the least and all was right with the (woodworking) world. There was someone else listening to our conversation and he was supplying her with any info that she didn't already know and I was told that a new table would go out today. I can't ask for more than that.

Pics to come next weekend. Wooohoooooo.......
    Mark Rios