Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for "Red" wood.....

I'm looking for "Red" wood.....

I got a commission for a cutting board that will be the regular straight laminated pieces, mostly maple but with a couple of other woods in it like walnut and purple heart. The woman who it's for has requested that I use a wood that is red for a couple of pieces.

Can anyone please recommend a "Red" wood to use here in this case? And if you would be so kind, tell me if it will keep it's color over time? And if there is any special gluing or machining requirements?

Thank you very much for you help and recommendations.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 10-17-2006 at 10:25 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Cardinal wood is what I've seen used. I don't know about longevity, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark,
    Bloodwood is the best choice in my opinion for this. It is hard and somewhat closed grained and bleeds less than some of the other reds. No special glueing needed. I've been using Titebond II doing cutting board and rolling pin laminations for years with no problems.
    Rob

I like bloodwood as well for a vibrant red. With the various cutting boards I have made over the years, maple and bloodwood and purpleheart (from among the choices discussed so far) hold up very well. Walnut, however, does not.

Thanks very much for the recommendations. May I ask one more question then please?

Where do you recommend I buy it online? My local hardwood supplier doesn't carry it.

Thanks again very much.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I did a couple boards recently, used Walnut and Maple on one, alternating. I used Walnut, Maple, Cherry, Maple alternating on the other. I tried to get the redest cherry I could, I was going for that effect. After oiling the board, I let it suntan for a while, it got darker, looks good, but isn't red red.

If you want me to send you some pictures, I can.

I buy mine from internetlumber, Aura dosn't have much in the way of exotic lumber. Bloodwood maybe red heart is the redest or some pink ivory?

Dennis

I like Massaranduba (short money) for an amber/red color, not bright red though. If she really wants bright red check out Pink Ivory. It might also be neat to have a couple stripes of Camphor Burl (expensive though).
    Last edited by Nick Clayton; 10-18-2006 at 7:34 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Bloodwood...

Mark,

I've got to go with Bloodwood too, especially if you're looking for a rich, deep red color. Here's a cutting board I recently made with it.

Personally, it's a little dark for my tastes, but it's what I had laying around at the time. Be advised that Bloodwood is extremely heavy and dense, so it's going to be a heavy cutting board. I also had some issues with chip out when I routed the edges, but it could have just been the crappy Crapsman router I have (no variable speed).

I got my Bloodwood at Woodcraft. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm sure you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

Keith

Red Wood

Mark......I agree with others that either Bloodwood or Red Heart is a good choice. You might try MacBeth hardwoods in Berkley. If you have never been there, it is worth the trip. I don't know if they ship or not. Another place is Crosscut hardwoods in Portland, Oregon. Again, I don't know if they ship either. Of course Portland would be too much of a drive. Another place that comes to mind is Woodworkers source in Phoenix, AZ. I do believe they will ship. Another "red" wood is Chakte Kok or Peroba Rosa although they are not quite as red as the others. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

If you need a more "orange" red you may also look at some Padauk. I just made a nice bow saw and have this as the crosspiece and it was extremely orangey red more so than I have seen before. If you can't find bloodwood this may be an easier thing to find.

Jeff
    There are three types of people in this world: those who want things to happen, those who make things happen and those who just wonder what the heck happened.

I'm doing some marquetry work right now with some red heart... has a very red, almost crimson color... but not quite that dark.

Second choice would be blood wood.. but as pointed out, it tends to be very dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fritzson
    If you need a more "orange" red you may also look at some Padauk. I just made a nice bow saw and have this as the crosspiece and it was extremely orangey red more so than I have seen before. If you can't find bloodwood this may be an easier thing to find.

Jeff
    Jeff,

I think I'd be a little wary using Padauk in a cutting board. I've turned some pens out of Padauk and it seemed to have a lot of "pores" (for lack of a better word). I'm not sure you'd want something that open-grained in a cutting board.

Just my .02...

Keith

Can you find the blood wood in this piece.

Dennis
    10.jpg

blood wood

Mark I got some blood wood from woodcraft I thank Curly Wood has some too I hope this will help.Doug